• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New member - hello and advice

Tomde1

Hi all,

I recently got back into the hobby after 10 years or so. I'm back using my old rio 125 tank (which I've thoroughly cleaned and leak tested after it sat empty for so long!) I'm in the process of setting up a low tech planted tank. The advice on this forum has been great, so thought I'd say hello!

My question: where are you guys sourcing plants from right now? I have seen quite a few online distributors (aqua essentials, aquarium gardens etc) but most plants are out of stock, even the easy/common ones. Dont know if this is a brexit/lockdown thing impacting supply or if I'm just looking in the wrong places?

Was hoping to get some tissue culture stuff like tropica 12 grow or similar for the carpet, (maybe dwarf sag) with a few traditional easy midground/ background plants like anubias java fern and crypts. My LFS doesn't have the best range, so online is likely my best option!

Cheers all!
Tom

Welcome to the forum, great to see new faces and those that come back to the hobby. Was the lockdown effect that drove me back. There are quite a few posts on plants, seems to be a combination of Brexit and Covid

Lack of Plants Low Plant Stocks

Consensus seems to be to call ahead to a trusted supplier to source. One of the forum sponsors like Aquarium Gardens or AquaEssentials or Horizon. I believe you can pre-order plants at Aquarium Gardens, if you give them a call, they should be able to let you know current stock and that going forward.

Amazing thanks very much! Will give this a try and hopefully will be getting my planted tank going soon!

Hi,
Aquaessentials don't have a full range of stock but still have quite a few plants available.
For me its been quite interesting finding out what they do have in and then choosing my plants from the given list, I've ended up with varieties that I probably would of otherwise ignored and am pleasantly surprised with how they're turning out.
I use the "show items in stock" filter on the "all potted plants section".

Cheers.

Thanks John, I guess it doesn't hurt to try new things! I'm itching to get planting so maybe I'll see what i can get from stock rather than waiting for stuff to come in

Java Plants seems to have reasonable stock (don’t know the company but another poster was sourcing plants from them)

Just checked and Aqua Essentials have loads back in stock. Not much missing.
Not so sure about that, as they seemed to not have any of the plants that were on my list. And the ones that they did have they had like one pot of, when I needed 10 etc.

Perhaps I was just unlucky with my choices?

If you are happy to work with what Aquaessentials has in stock, then there does still appear to be quite a few plants in stock. The issue may come though when you get to adding numbers of plants required to your basket and perhaps realise you can only have one of something you need 5 of.

Ive just placed a £230 plant order with Java. All Tropica. Never used them before, so I’m going out of my comfort zone here, but needs must now that we are starting to feel the benefits of leaving the EU 🤷🏻‍♂️

Also note other aquascaping suppliers in Europe that previously shipped no problem to the UK. Aquasabi, Green Aqua and many more. All no longer shipping ANYTHING to the UK anymore. Not just plants, nothing.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that, as they seemed to not have any of the plants that were on my list. And the ones that they did have they had like one pot of, when I needed 10 etc.

Perhaps I was just unlucky with my choices?

If you are happy to work with what Aquaessentials has in stock, then there does still appear to be quite a few plants in stock. The issue may come though when you get to adding numbers of plants required to your basket and perhaps realise you can only have one of something you need 5 of.

Ive just placed a £230 plant order with Java. All Tropica. Never used them before, so I’m going out of my comfort zone here, but needs must after we are starting to feel the benefits of leaving the EU

Also note other aquascaping suppliers in Europe that previously shipped no problem to the UK. Aquasabi, Green Aqua and many more. All no longer shipping ANYTHING to the UK anymore. Not just plants, nothing.

Ah yes I guess it wholly depends on what you want. I've got a pending order with Aquarium Gardens and when they've restocked I'll place another (if the rest of the UK doesn't beat me to it lol).

Wow! I had no idea about those other suppliers cutting off the UK orders like that! That's really a shame and I hope it's not permanent. Some good could come of it though, it could encourage the growth of UK based growers and suppliers so we're a little less dependent on mainland Europe but I'm just hoping and guessing here.

Expert at nothing, dab hand at many.

Back