• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New nano planted shrimp and snail tank

Refugia

Hello.. I’m gathering the bits for a 25lt tank, any tips welcomed.
Slightly concerned about whether or not I’ve picked the right substrate, chose a clay and sphagnum mix with pebbles on top.
Also about adding snails to new plants, which to quarantine if either.

92d019d-81a9-a637-21ef-98001c010a00&sig=qZB4xPTILn.jpg
Bacopa monnieri (Moneywort)
%2Fproducts%2FLIMNOPHILA-AROMATICA_compact_cropped.jpg
Limnophila aromatica
Emv2.png%2Fv1%2Ffit%2Fw_1024%2Ch_768%2Cq_90%2Ffile.png
malaysian trumpet snails (Melanoides tuberculata )
d=992d019d-81a9-a637-21ef-98003d010a00&sig=Ottg80..jpg
Great ramshorn snail (Planorbarius corneus)

Last edited:
I managed to grow the L. aromatica emersed, which was satisfying.
Did you try eating it? If so was it tasty? Some say orange and some say tarragon flavour.
Does it usually prefer to be grown above the water line?

Did you try eating it? If so was it tasty? Some say orange and some say tarragon flavour.
I didn't. I should have. After a while the leaves were a bit sticky and spotted so it wasn't in perfect nick. I should have trimmed it more. It was in a low UNS tank so didn't have far to grow.

I’ve just spoken with the plant supplier on the phone who’s assured me that the potted plants bacopa monieri and L.aromatica are chemical free so the current plan is to add these and the snails first while keeping the hornwort separately in a jar for a couple of months before adding it.

Does anyone know if I’d be better to only part fill the tank to give the L.aromatica the space to emerge?
Being such a small tank maybe it’d be more stable with the water to the top.

I was going to say, L. aromatica grows to be a large plant, I wouldn't recommend it to a 25L tank. But if you are going to let it emerge, it could be manageable.

Does anyone know if I’d be better to only part fill the tank to give the L.aromatica the space to emerge?
Do you ask this because the tank is covered? If so, better not to have aromatica, in my opinion. If it isn't covered, then just fill it up normally and let the plant break the surface when it gets there.

As for your concern regarding chemicals in the plants hurting the snails, to me that is completely unheard of. I see people quarantining plants to prevent the accidental introduction of snails, or maybe some pathogens, but have never seen it because of a concern over chemicals.

As for your concern regarding chemicals in the plants hurting the snails, to me that is completely unheard of. I see people quarantining plants to prevent the accidental introduction of snails, or maybe some pathogens, but have never seen it because of a concern over chemicals.
Some plants, particularly stem bunches that had been grown submersed, are imported and as part of that treated for pests to avoid importing invasive species. The chemicals used for that can kill shrimps or snails. It might depend on your country/plant source, I don't think it's as much of an issue now as it used to be as most people are getting pots that have been grown emersed from big suppliers, but definately something to keep in mind if you have invertibrates.

I presume you are aware the MT snails breed like crazy?

I was going to say, L. aromatica grows to be a large plant, I wouldn't recommend it to a 25L tank. But if you are going to let it emerge, it could be manageable.

Do you ask this because the tank is covered? If so, better not to have aromatica, in my opinion. If it isn't covered, then just fill it up normally and let the plant break the surface when it gets there.

The aquarium I’ve ordered is covered so maybe removing the lid at some point will be the thing to do, I chose the plant with lunch in mind so possibly regular pruning will help.

I just assumed that chemicals affecting shrimp would also kill snails so was trying to decide which to put into the tank or to keep in a jar, chemicals ending up in the clay being a worry. Apparently potted plants are grown in Holland without pesticides but floating plants tend to be treated before being imported from warmer places, not sure if this is specific to my supplier.

Last edited:
Some plants, particularly stem bunches that had been grown submersed, are imported and as part of that treated for pests to avoid importing invasive species. The chemicals used for that can kill shrimps or snails. It might depend on your country/plant source, I don't think it's as much of an issue now as it used to be as most people are getting pots that have been grown emersed from big suppliers, but definately something to keep in mind if you have invertibrates.

I presume you are aware the MT snails breed like crazy?
This is what I’ve been told by my supplier, that it’s the floating ones you need to be careful of.

No I didn’t know this about Malaysian trumpets, I’ve ordered 10! Should have also ordered some assassins, I’ll ring them to see if I can make an addition, thanks for the tip.

image.jpg

Still a bit cloudy as the clay settles but at least there’s no algae yet.

I guess there must be more than one type of limnohpila aromatica, this one has more rounded less serrated leaves with a longer node spacing than others I’ve seen, it arrived with a note saying ‘do not eat’ probably because of the pesticides I guess.
It doesn’t look very different from the bacopa monieri in the back of the pic, I can’t see it getting too big for the tank. It has a good orange aroma.

Snails on the way but now I’m worried about potential lung worms as I plan on eating the plants, perhaps they weren’t such a good idea.

Last edited:
Back