• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New project - opinions appreciated

Oh, yes, forgot to mention - this new tank is planned to be "inspired" by the island of New Guinea, so only certain plants and fish are going in... Making things far too complicated for myself, aren't I ?! :lol: I have always been the one for a challenge...

what comes from new guinea?
Well, fish wise, there is a selection of Rainbows, Peacock gobies, Morngunda and Stiphodon species, some Gouramis – there is quite a long list of endemic and native species. In fact, after researching this, I can say that it is much easier to get the right fish than the right plants. The information on plants is very scarce and I spent AGES trying to get a decent picture. I have a list of plants ready now and the ones which are available easily are already in my “temporary” tank. I do not have a specific biotope to mimic – I am trying to create an aesthetically pleasing tank after all (true biotopes do not look that nice most of times, to my opinion). So, I am ignoring certain things like a particular substrate or type of wood/rock but am trying to stay true to flora and fauna...

i know all about how difficult it is to obtain info about plants and their natural locations- was trying to set up a thai biotope - translating pages etc. fish are easy in comparison.

Well, I’ve got an update. I have had the most enjoyable time shopping around and making up my mind. There are still a few things to buy but I already know what and where from I will be buying.
I also decided to ease the task for myself and widen the region I am going to stick to. I just got tired of trying to definitely confirm plants from New Guinea ...
So, now it will be a tank based on Austrasia – just below the Wallace line. This gives me a number of plants which origins are definitely confirmed and makes the task of creating an aesthetically pleasing aquarium much easier...

Back