• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank... Algae starting to creep in .. Suggestions ?

pauldesfitz

Set up Tank following all helpful advice from UKAps and everything seemed ok.. However , didnt research mty Lighting requirments as thoroughly as I should , and I think I started on Excessive Lights...i.e. Two new T5 Arcadia lights with Reflectos, and Also Two Older T8 bulbs . Lights are 30 inches long, Tank is approx 150 Ltrs.
My Plants have SHOT UP ..!! Fantastic to watch for a Newbee !!
However, You`ve guessed it ..... week 3 and Algae appearing on Vallisneria near surface, and I`ve noticed some of leaves on other plants are starting to loose their Shine, so to speak..
I`m dosig Dry Salts as per instructions, doing Water changes often and plentiful, CO2 seems ok,according to PH readings, and today brought my lights back to just the two T5`s , for approx 7 hours.
I want to try to Halt the onset of out of control Algae, possibly brought on by my lighting.
Am I correct to think that Lighting has contributed to my problem ?
To me, it seems that the lights are demanding more of everything than I can give , so if I cut back on it, it may be more balanced with what I am dosing.etc.
Am I to late to reverse situation ? I`m going to get some more Creatures to help... have some shrimp at moment (approx 10 Amano).
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Paul

The lighting is definitely overkill, the plants shot up initially was likely due to the high lights, but that drives the need for nutrients and CO2 to higher levels especially with the increased growth. Once the plants start to not keep up with the light, algae will strike. Tone down on the lights, keep a good flow around the plants and the algae should start to diminish coupled with manual removal where possible.

Thanks Michael,
As I thought, the Lights were the only area I was unsure on. The Flow is fairly good with my Spraybar across the back of Tank, Co2 has been consistent , and Dosing is to required that guidlines give. Hopefully , if I pull back on Lights, add some Algae Eaters, and continue to do all the rest, things may balance out .:confused:

Back