• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New tank & Plants

Lisa1

Hi All

I have a small 25 ltr tank, but have just bought a 125 ltr tank, I am just wondering, when l set up my small tank l bought the majority of plants as and when l set it up, just added the odd plant here and there at a later date, the problem l had was the sand got mixed up with the substrate/soil and looked messy. Now l am happily starting again with the new tank, but as its much bigger l am going to have to do it bit by bit with the plants, as l want lots of them so it looks jungley but l have heard that l should really do it all in one go so as not to mess the tank about to much, however l want lots of plants as they are as important a feature as the fish, so l want some that are a bit more expensive and this will take me some time, Can l plant up bit by bit or should l do it all in one go and go for cheaper plants that are not what l really want?

Thank you Lisa

Hi,
Yes, go all in one and get plants that you later will throw away. This is not a big deal to sell or discard the unwanted plants, but it is important when setting up a tank that you have as many plants as possible because the quantity of plants will help to cycle the gravel and will help to stabilize the tank.

Cheers,

As Ceg says its best to do it all in one but depends on what substrate your using, if your using one of the expensive substrates and there is just one type your ok to plants and remove plants but if you doing something like soil capped with sand it will get messy.

Thanks Cookie

Yes l used sand last time in my small tank and it was a mess, thought about using gravel this time but l want to keep panda corries and have heard sand is best for them so not sure what to do for the best, sand or gravel?

I believe sand is best for them although i have read very fine gravel is ok, if your wanting good growth and hard to keep plants in it then you would need soil or something under it imho, so it would be best to plant all at once, but there are far more experience guys on here than me that may correct me as my knowledge comes from reading and not experience.

Back