• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Tank setup

Abdullah

Seedling
Hello,

Thanks for all the great info available on the site by all the forum members. Its overwhelming I must say.

I have been reading the guide and a lot of threads regarding planted tanks, and I must admit its amazing that you can create an artificial ecosystem. I have a daughter and i think its really nice for her to grow up being part of this setup.

anyways, I am new here and this my first ever aquarium and I am up to the challenge. But, I do have a couple of technical questions regarding my setup and I would like help.

My tank is 147x47x52 CM, according to my calculation it is 360 liters (80 Gallons) ..Am I right?

Its a JEBO tank hood design with 2 x 40 Watts T8, 10,000 K lamps. Reflectors are available.

My plan is to use:

2 x 54 Watts T5 Lamps (Arcadia Controller)
1 EF+ 2000 Lph external canister filter http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-external-filter-2000-l-h-9w-uv.html I am planning to attach a Co2 Reactor to it.
1 EF+ 1400 LpH external canister filter http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium-external-filter-1400-l-h-9w-uv.html I am planning to attach a Hydor external heater 300 W.

My first question. Do I have to get a new arcadia controller? or should I just switch the tubes to T5 54 watts? The length of my tube is approximatley 114 cm. If I could do that with no problems then which tubes should I choose to fit? Also, whats the voltage of the arcadia controller 110, 220, 230, 240? 50 or 60 Hz Cycle?

2 is the Hydor heater sufficient for my tank? Whats the power consumption of the heater? and voltage 110, 220, 230, 240? 50 or 60 Hz Cycle?

3 What kind of hoses should I choose to go with the filters? Please note that I want a classy look of the tank and I want Lily glass pipes (intake and flow)..

4 According to allpondsolution dot com the hose the EF+2000 is Hose size: 25mm Outside diameter, 18mm Inside diameter and the EF+ 14000 Hose size: 20mm Outside diameter, 15mm Inside diameter. Which means that I have to get two different sizes of lily pipes. Am I right? and which size of pipes should I go for? What if I plan to use a different heavy duty hose? what shall I go for?

Here is a quick sketch 1.0 I made of the tank. Please advice.

296198873.jpg

Regards,

the sketch does not show up man?

the hydor is cool imo,
for filter hose, i had some clear tubing, looks great when it was clean but freaking bad when it had a little crud inside, so go for black if you can, or ive seen grey/clear and that looked cool just get a filter tubing cleaning rod type thingy :)

nayr88 said:
the sketch does not show up man?

the hydor is cool imo,
for filter hose, i had some clear tubing, looks great when it was clean but freaking bad when it had a little crud inside, so go for black if you can, or ive seen grey/clear and that looked cool just get a filter tubing cleaning rod type thingy :)

Sorry about the image.. Here you go http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/296198873.jpg/

The only thing I am concerned about the hoses are the diameters and fitting them to the filter, fitting lily pipes as well. I am totally clueless about pipes and hoses :(

really, really don't worry about adding more light. Concentrate your efforts on getting your nutrients and gas distribution spot on first - you'll still see amazing growth, and you'll reduce any algae issues. On a tank with those dimensionrs you'd also be better using spraybars rather than lily pipes as you'll struggle to get flow right with lilys. Welcome to the forum mate - i look forward to seeing your tank develop! Matt

My tank is 147x47x52 CM, according to my calculation it is 360 liters (80 Gallons) ..Am I right?

Yup the gross dimensions give you approx 360 litres although in practice net volume will typically be in the order 85-90% of this.

My first question. Do I have to get a new arcadia controller? or should I just switch the tubes to T5 54 watts?

You will if it is not designed for the use of 54w T5s . T5 tubes are typically 1149mm. Juwel aquarium T5s are a slightly different length, but this is not an issue for you.

2 is the Hydor heater sufficient for my tank? Whats the power consumption of the heater? and voltage 110, 220, 230, 240? 50 or 60 Hz Cycle?

Yes, although some people would choose two smaller heaters to have some degree of mitigation if one fails. I am not sure about voltage, depends where you live, the UK is on 50hz and I think 240 v.

3 What kind of hoses should I choose to go with the filters? Please note that I want a classy look of the tank and I want Lily glass pipes (intake and flow)..

4 According to allpondsolution dot com the hose the EF+2000 is Hose size: 25mm Outside diameter, 18mm Inside diameter and the EF+ 14000 Hose size: 20mm Outside diameter, 15mm Inside diameter. Which means that I have to get two different sizes of lily pipes. Am I right? and which size of pipes should I go for? What if I plan to use a different heavy duty hose? what shall I go for?

Yes you would need to use two different sizes or you could use a decreaser from the outlet/inlets of the larger filter, but this will reduce flow from the filter. You will need to check dimentions of the connetions on your Hydor heater as mine connect to 16/22mm hose.

If you want to use a different hose, make sure it is food grade.

Back