• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to the Forum with a sinking feeling

Gavin Skidmore

Seedling
Hi Everyone - been a long time listener and now finally joining the gang.

Been aquascaping for about 5 years mainly focused on C02 planted Japanese aquascapes. The main problem I have is when building height to my aqauscapes through rocks etc, after a year or so the aquascape eventually levels itself thanks to who knows what but i have a sneaky feeling shrimps may have a helping hand.

My question to the forum is what do people use that works to support building height to scapes. I have used stockings filled with substrate and or polystyrene beads, then adding rocks on top, through to plastic shapes filled with pebbles to build up a terrace like effect.

I am thinking there must be something to use that can create a closed wall like shape at various sizes, somthing like a russian doll if you know what i mean, multiple units at different sizes but following the same shape?

Its a pain and costly when planting up a tank and nurturing it over the weeks and months only to notice that sinking feeling over time. With that in mind i thought its time to change my scape, have a clear out and start over with the sound advice of those more experienced or just luckier than my goodself.

Cheers all
Gav

Welcome to ukaps. You would be better to ask these questions in the Aquascaping forum on UKAPS. This area is really just for folks introducing themselves so you are more likely to get useful answers in the relevant forum. I hope you find the answers you are looking for. Happy aquascaping!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Shrimp definitely help with substrate movement (as would any substrate mover fish) + water current + gravity :)

If you watch ADA Video, he uses the Power Sand (largest pieces) (any lava type rock should do) but also really massive rocks & piles of smaller rocks to support the slopes
I also suspect that initial banking may be steeper than what would be measured a year on (& he takes this into account in the design)
I think I've seen him use plastic substrate supports as well ... but could be another video ;)

Welcome!

Would love to see some pics...

Welcome.
I use thin strips of perspex, heated with a hot air gun to form curvatures you can also heat the surface to make it sticky to stick some of your gravel to it.
That way you can make it higher so if it shows it is not noticeable.
Also plant in front of it.

Thanks all for your suggestions Kipper i like the perspex idea, what mm do you use to bend with heat? also how do you cut it to the desired depth.

Cheers all

Gavin

I've bent up to 6mm with the hot air gun, luckily I have a band saw but a normal hand saw will do the trick, just take it easy do not force it.
Tip: Keep the perspex warm it prevents it cracking or crazing.
You can do the same with plastic pipe overflow, waste, guttering, down pipe, etc!
You can make your own bent pipes up as well.
I bought some Eheim pipe lengths, blank one end, fill with dry sand gently warm it till pliable & bend to your hearts content hold the shape till the pipe sets again empty out the sand & cut to size.
Tip 2: Wear gloves as it can get a bit hot to touch. Ouch!!

Back