• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie 45L Aquarium

jscoggs27

Hi all, :)
Not too shy of criticism, so here goes.
This is my first attempt at aquascaping, and it didn't quite go as planned.
anyway;
45 Litre, 50cm wide, 30cm deep, 30cm high.
Substrate is Flourite mixed with lime free potting grit, with silica sand at the front.
2x 15W T8, 1 Daylight,1 Growlux.
No fish, yet. No co2 yet either.
Just set up, so no algae (yet).
Dont ask me the names of the plants in there, this was all very haphazard i'm afraid.
p.s. sorry about the link cant get the img tag to work with my provider.

http://www.metalcatfish.com/pics

jason

Made some changes, much happier with the results.
Just have to wait and see how the plants get on. Presuming I dont kill them all.
It just occurred to me that this is a bit like Xfactor. I may be like one of those delusional sociopaths! OMG!

Have added co2, More Lighting, and changed most of the plants. Its amazing how my original plan has changed so much. Should have stuck with the formula.
Have updated my web account so should be able to post pics....

nano12.jpg

nano14.jpg

nano16.jpg

http://www.metalcatfish.com/pics

So, Did think it looked a bit barren and its not really shaping up to be the aquascape I really imagined. So Ive added more plants and improved the diy co2 a bit. Pls let me know what you think especially if its rubbish.

nano19.jpg

nano20.jpg

thanks

Things are certainly growing, that's the first hurdle! You could now trim the stems on the left that are touching the surface and replant the off cuts. The rocks are nicely arranged and usually it is best to use rocks of the same colour but I find yours complement the plants. Any plans for fish/shrimp - T

Hi, thanks for your comments they are very encouraging. I will be getting some shrimp as soon as I feel confident enough to identify the correct ones. As far as fish goes, I'm going to wait another couple of weeks before I start buying.
I agree with you about the rocks though I wanted something brighter in the foreground and a bit larger and more moody at the back, didnt quite have the effect I imagined though.
I have as it happens just trimmed those very same plants and tidied up the carpet a bit, hope it grows back.
Incidentally, today was the first day I have seen significant algae growth, so im reducing daylight hours to 9, and see how that goes.
Ill try to get the water tested, this weekend so I have a better idea whats really going on in there.
Thanks.
jason

nano42.jpg

Hi, So this is where it stands today. Im still not entirely happy though, as clearly I was intending a first class nature aquarium! :lol:
I have so far loved every minute of it, and can sit and watch the plants and shrimp all night.
Have had some issues with hair algae but that seems to have cleared itself up.
Biggest disapointment was the glosso of course, but was probably asking too much with that.
Please criticize, (preferably not me personally though).
Thanks

Love the scattered piles of crushed rock, gravel. I think you should leave a bit of that bare rather than covering it up with plants

Hi,
I'm not getting huge feedback so guessing my attempts must be a bit embarrasing. Ahem. So like most people I guess i'm learning by my mistakes.
So with that in mind, have done a small rescape.
I hope this grows in as well as the last.
Here is the rescape, final tank shot is in finished tanks.
Thanks.

nano45.jpg

I liked what you'd done with the graded gravel, it tied it together a lot more :) I think previously the rocks you were using were all different, so it looks un-natural. It was still a great first attempt :)

thanks.
Ive just been reading everything I could and tried everything all at once! The big rock had to go. Still some changes to make tho.
Thanks again.

Are you using DIY CO2 or pressurised? If pressurised, it looks like you're using standard (blue) airline hose? If that's the case, I would consider replacing it with CO2 hose. CO2 can excape through the hose, which of course is a waste. If it's DIY/yeast based CO2 then it won't matter too much :)

Have been using yeast till I can scavenge parts to make a regulator up. But Do have some co2 hose on order. untill today I had the tiny el aqua int filter supplied with the tank. I found the best way to feed in co2 from yeast was put the outlet straight on the venturi. Wasn't a problem cos the filter was so weak. Yeast doesn't work with the diffusor tho. The pressure needed to drive those things is so high I feared my bottles might explode while away from home!
Ive learnt a lot tho, In this size tank you need a lot of light. Some plants didnt perk up at all untill i upgraded the third time. Now have 75 watts. Only started using easy carb one weak ago so co2 must have been working (presumably) Ive had to prune back every other day. I did have hair algae after about ten days but adding more co2 and lots of water changes sorted that.
So for the future hoping to get the presurised co2 up and running, get the glosso growing, and sort out the plumbing.
I left the right hand side alone. Is it rubbish? I like it but then I have no taste! :lol:
Any help/advice would be appreciated.
thanks

Back