• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie, new tank and my plans, advice needed

silverteen

Seedling
Hello, Ive recently decided to buy another tank (after years of saltwater) i decided that freshwater maybe an option and then i discovered aquascaping and i couldnt wait to get started.

I've been doing a fair bit of research and looking at tanks etc and opted with the brillux 72l tank, comes with twin 18w t5 lighting (36w total) which gives just over 2 watt per gallon.

I really want to create an aquascape which is of a sort of "Sand dunes forming into a path into forest"

i live in wales and the local coast inspires me, i want to create sand dune at the front with a sand path curving into the background with lots of grass bush type plants and possible a driftwood tree.

anyway thats my plan and here are my questions!....

The tank is new so do i cycle the tank before adding plants or will they be ok through the cycle? i.e do i get the aquascape as i want it before cyclying the tank or after the cycle?

i want to fishless cycle using fish food, is this ok?

what plants would you suggest for the grass, bushes etc? any plants you recommend or ones to avoid?

and i'll be using the internal filter intitially that is supplied with the tank, would you recommend an external filter or HOB?

ive been collecting driftwood from the beach and rocks from the local river to boil and scrub, before setting up the tank.

and when its finished im hoping for some tetras and some guppies

thank, any advice appreciated.! :thumbup:

silverteen said:
The tank is new so do i cycle the tank before adding plants or will they be ok through the cycle? i.e do i get the aquascape as i want it before cyclying the tank or after the cycle?
Add plants straight way there is no issue.

silverteen said:
i want to fishless cycle using fish food, is this ok?
Have a look here: http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/c ... p?sid=2491

silverteen said:
what plants would you suggest for the grass, bushes etc? any plants you recommend or ones to avoid?
You have a good lighting, it all depends if you are also going to add CO2, if not then one tube might be enough and you should concentrate on low tech plants like ferns, anubias, crypts and mosses.

silverteen said:
and i'll be using the internal filter intitially that is supplied with the tank, would you recommend an external filter or HOB?
The internal filter will be fine, you can always add a Koralia nano pump if you need the extra flow.

Thanks for your quick reply, could you recommend some plants for me...

im after a mossy one for grass,
a small leafy ones and a bushy one please

Hello and welcome to the forum,

I don't think yiu can go far wrong with xmas moss as the carpeting plant, yourll need a lot though for a 60litre, so maybe try dwarf hair grass?

For the forest area I'd say bits if anubias petite dottie around with crypt wendtii brow, java fer 'narrow' or vallis (not sure on the names of different types) and maybe a big bush of java fern windlov?

Good advice Paulo, wish I had come to somewhere like this when I 1st got into the hobby.

:)

Back