• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie question - Setting up a CO2 distribution system

zgall1

Seedling
I'm just getting into the business of growing plants and I'm trying to synthesize the information I've received from various places. I've decided to go with the Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor with the Aqua Medic Regulator. I was also told I needed to add an air pump to this setup but I'm not sure for what purpose. As well, I've seen various mentions of a solenoid valve, bubble counters and timers. Are all of these necessary and how do they fit in the process? Thanks for any help you can provide. I know these are basic questions so if someone could point me to an article, that would also be great.

Are the terms drop checker and bubble counter equivalent?

no.bubble counter is exactly that.so you can count how many bubbles of co2 you are injecting.some people use them,some don't.
you will need a drop checker though

a bubble counter gives you a visual check of how much co2 your pumping into the tank hence talk of bubbles per second i would reccomend this

a solenoid can turn off co2 at night when lights are out they conserve co2 these are electric and need a timer but some just run CO2 24/7 so up to you

you would need a check valve though to stop water leaking back thru co2 tube

zgall1 said:
Are the terms drop checker and bubble counter equivalent?

no a drop checker measures the CO2 in the Aquarium water and a bubble counter sits outside the tank and sort of measures the CO2 going into the aquarium both quite cheap to source though

After reading the drop checker article, the responses here and doing some more research, I think I have figured out how I am going to set everything up. I'll post it here and hopefully you guys can comment on if it sounds like I know what I am talking about. The tank is a 125 gallon tank. I'm going to get a 20 lb CO2 canister and hook it up the Aqua Medic regulator (with built in needle valve). This will be connected to a solenoid valve on a timer to control CO2 distribution timing. From there, the system will be connected to an Aqua Medic 1000 Reactor to diffuse the CO2 and it will be distributed into the water by an Eheim pump (Model 1048). I will use the drop checker to monitor the pH levels and using that information, I can use the pH/KH chart to determine how to adjust the CO2 levels to achieve a level of around 30 ppm. Does this make sense? Am I missing anything?

You don't need to use any chart. Just aim for a lime green colour of the dropchecker as a baseline target. Make adjustments from there based on the response of the plants.

Cheers,

Back