• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie question: Taking regulator off disposable bottle

W1368

Hi. Proberbly a stupid question to some.

I'm using a JBL M001 regulator on a disposable cylinder. According to the instructions when the pressure falls below 30 (which is the case) its recommended to replace the cylinder.

After completely unscrewing the regulator, theres a very prominent hissing noise from the cylinder when it is seperated from the regulator. Is this normal? I don't think leaving the bottle hissing away is correct. I hear running the cylinder until it is completely empty is a bad idea due to the sudden pressure when it empties.

At the moment I've left the regulator on, with the needle valve fully closed.

The hissing noise its because it still has some gas inside it, I always leave the CO2 bottle until it runs out completely, never experienced any issues, but I use FEs and not disposable bottles.

If your using the jbl regulator then you shouldn't get a co2 dump when the bottle is nearly empty
This only happens on some of the cheaper far east regs so just wait until the bottle is empty and swap to a new bottle otherwise you are just wasting gas
Matt

Re:

mdhardy01 said:
If your using the jbl regulator then you shouldn't get a co2 dump when the bottle is nearly empty
This only happens on some of the cheaper far east regs so just wait until the bottle is empty and swap to a new bottle otherwise you are just wasting gas
Matt

This can happen on any single stage regulator which will cover most of them that we use. Seems to be a bit hit and miss r.e. if you have the problem or not. I never had a problem on a £30 welding regulator!!

Big discussion on the merits of dual stage regulators on barrreport over the past few months but they are very expensive.

On the hissing subject it should only be a short hiss like opening a new pop bottle and then the valve in the cylider should close again once the regulator pin clears it. If it is permanent then it may be a problem with the cylinder but shouldn't be a problem with the reg.

AC

Do you order the bottles to your place via post?

If you replace in store, any chance you can close the reg and take the whole unit in and let them do it for you? They've dealt with this plenty of times so would be more confident with it.

If the pressure is to low to penetrate the ceramic deffusor then could you not take it out the back and begin to remove the reg to dump the low pressure co2 out and wait for it to stop hissing then open more see if it hisses or not and then remove the reg?

Back