• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

night-time lighting

yorkie1980

Seedling
Hi all
Got a tropical tank and was thinking about some sort of soft (and most importantly affordable) lighting for when the main lights aren't on.
At moment I've got 2 x T8s on from 12.30-8.30pm. The tanks in quite a dark, quiet corner, so it's pretty hard to see anything when the tubes aren'ton.
Does anybody have any advice on how I could create some really soft, natural lighting that would still represent night and day for my plants/fish but perhaps provide more viewing pleasure?
Happy to carry on as is in the interests of my tank, but thought there might be some smart solution out there?
cheers in advance, yorkie

Hi, I have been thinking of doing this myself too. I was thinking of getting a strip of blue LEDs which are on at night and will simulate moonlight.

i found the idea of 'moonlight' blue LED's far better than the reality once they were in, came out again after a week.. I bought the Marine 3 individual spot blue led's that you can have for £10 if you want to try them...

I have also pondered this and thought (without any science behind it i might add) that it might be possible to get a very low kelvin rating tube??? However i bet the answer will be that it would be fine for the plants but algae will use that light to prosper...???? Anyone???

I'd also love to hear some opinions (or a link to an old thread) on split lighting periods as i work shifts so often miss the lights on at all :twisted:

Back