• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

(NO MORE) 2,000L High tech BEAST

Dont go!... you don't need a terrarium... :) I bet you can find ways to push this tank to the next level! just my 2 cents. Either way, whatever you do it will be incredible!
How many angles are in that tank btw. ? I think a tank of this size brings out the true behavior of angles.... Very nice to say the least!

Last edited:
You cant leave the firm. Plenty of terrestial growing plants threads and one or set ups be it smaller scale of what l think your moving to. Must say hugely informative with a lot of fun I will miss the beast but onto your next creation🙂
Good shout and thanks dude! Youve been one of those guys supporting me all along the journey. Big hugs for you man!

A huge, room dominating, tropical rain forest in a big acrylic box sounds right down my street!
Just as a bit of food for though, having full size opening front door (doors) would make maintenance a lot easier.
I look forward to your new build thread.

Ah man, can't believe you're closing this down - this tank has defined the word 'epic'!!

I really don't think you should go completely water free on your next project - 300mm deep water at the front like the edge of an Amazon river bank is surely the way to go 😜

Ah man, can't believe you're closing this down - this tank has defined the word 'epic'!!

I really don't think you should go completely water free on your next project - 300mm deep water at the front like the edge of an Amazon river bank is surely the way to go 😜

You tank keepers are so biased towards having water!!!:rolleyes:
Might have to make a nice grassy place at the foot of that river, so I can have a lie down mid maintenance haha

You tank keepers are so biased towards having water!!!:rolleyes:
Might have to make a nice grassy place at the foot of that river, so I can have a lie down mid maintenance haha
If less maintenance is what you want, as a keen gardener I can tell you the urge to maintain is in you as a person, and not so much whatever it is you want to maintain 😆 with anything you enjoy, there is always something that will need doing. But what you enjoy may change over time :) but people who love cars will always find something to clean or tinker with, same with people who love working out and us aquarists.

Could be an epic water dragon setup, with just enough water to keep the crowds happy,
Good shout.
However, I just looked up all the requirements and it feels like work! 🤣

Might have to stick to plants, maybe with some dart frogs if I can be bothered feeding then!

That's going to be an awesome project! With a terrarium of that size, you could consider a small shallow pool a stream and a waterfall in it. 😘
Then you still can grow quite a number of aquarium plants, the majority are bog plants anyway that thrive emerged in terrarium setups. We have an emersed growth section, by the way, showing some terrariums. I guess yours will be a tad the star (beast) of the show again. If you are considering rain forest and Dart frogs, you'd need a small water party for them to lay eggs and breed and you still could keep some small fish. Some rain forest geckoes would be great too.

But I understand you need a lot more and specific info than you could find on UKAPS considering rainforest terrariums. I would recommend Dendroboard for info and definitively Pinterest for inspiration. Another geek you might like to follow. Login • Instagram

Anyway, I hope you stay or at least share your whereabouts when you decide to spend more time in other communities, so we can come and lurk.

A couple of years or so ago visited Manchester Natural History museum were they have huge terrariums lizards, frogs lovely tropical forest set ups loads of inspiration. Big disappointment was right at the end a large aquarium void of anything except goldfish. I thought at the time it would be good to have George Farmer to do a nature aquarium

A couple of years or so ago visited Manchester Natural History museum were they have huge terrariums lizards, frogs lovely tropical forest set ups loads of inspiration. Big disappointment was right at the end a large aquarium void of anything except goldfish. I thought at the time it would be good to have George Farmer to do a nature aquarium

We have Gaiazoo near my place, they also have an aquarium and terrarium section. But also a tad disappointing how it all is set up. The ones that did it are far from experienced scapers and I agree on they definitively should look up our communities and contract a few guys good at it.

At Gaiazoo it was actually this picture and the big tank triggering me to visit and check it out.
gaia-zoo-limburg-huis-7-1.jpg

Up close you see the wood is fake and not really well done and the whole setup isn't actually that appealing in real life. They might know about animal keeping but should admit that decorative scaping and recreating nature is not their strongest point. I wonder who makes it, but it's definitively a beginner?.. It's a stone throw away from the German border where quite a lot of experienced and good scapers are available able to source and use genuine hardscape materials.

We have Gaiazoo near my place, they also have an aquarium and terrarium section. But also a tad disappointing how it all is set up. The ones that did it are far from experienced scapers and I agree on they definitively should look up our communities and contract a few guys good at it.

At Gaiazoo it was actually this picture and the big tank triggering me to visit and check it out.
gaia-zoo-limburg-huis-7-1.jpg

Up close you see the wood is fake and not really well done and the whole setup isn't actually that appealing in real life. They might know about animal keeping but should admit that decorative scaping and recreating nature is not their strongest point. I wonder who makes it, but it's definitively a beginner?.. It's a stone throw away from the German border where quite a lot of experienced and good scapers are available able to source and use genuine hardscape materials.
Looking at it from the perspective of a zoo, would they sell significantly more tickets if the aquariums looked better, or are they better off investing in a larger bear resort? I feel the same as you in most zoos, seeing how much more they could do with all those tanks, but from their perspective I totally get it. For most people with their kids, the fish section is something saved for rainy moments or on their way out, unless you make a glass tunnel or something it's not going to really affect the ticket sales.

For most people with their kids, the fish section is something saved for rainy moments
That could change if it looked better... :) And I guess our hobby would be more appreciated. I bet if you drop those people in Amano's gallery all of them would be in awe bulging their eyes out having an unforgettable day.

IMHO zoo's shouldn't invest in larger large mammal resorts they should stop keeping 80% of the large mammals they put on display, such as Tigers, Elephants and Bears etc. etc. We have enough film footage of them by now, no need to show them in captivity. And learn future generations that keeping them captive is not the way but rather very respectless. But that's a different topic.

We have the Blue Planet in the north west and last time l visited it was well run and I loved the Amazon stream replication were you could look from above. I think a lot of these public aquaria rely on visitor numbers and funding for eco projects and OC volunteers and its not be easy since the covid.

Quick post to say what a great journey this has been! Thank you for documenting it all.
In case it needs to be said.
I appreciate everyone who drops in and leaves a note like this.
Its all well and good seeing the number of people who have seen this thread, but getting such quick "thank you's" make it real for me.
🙏❤
Thank you J Bonham!

Hey Filip, another drop-in to say your journey has been completely bonkers and superbly inspiring in equal measure. And can I add my vote to those asking you to journal your next venture here too. I'm cautiously considering a single emersed plant in my next scape, and you're gonna cover the wall. I clearly have no sense of style!

Back