• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Noname, second hand, 40l

Hi all, I've been watching mine (I have a 60cm tank without any fish at the moment, but it has a lot of crustaceans) and I've noticed that when they swim any distance that they swim upside down.

cheers Darrel

Yes upside down and they swim quite often when there is no fish. As soon as fish appear in the tank the keep down :) now in this tank there are very young odessa barbs so those guys often swim together with fry :)

Hi all,
they swim quite often when there is no fish.
It is interesting, the tank now has a bloom of Daphnia, with plenty of Cyclops and I can see Lumbriculus (some of which are in the floating plant roots, rather than the substrate) Crangonyx and Asellus all a lot more visible than they are normally when fish are present.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, It is interesting, the tank now has a bloom of Daphnia, with plenty of Cyclops and I can see Lumbriculus (some of which are in the floating plant roots, rather than the substrate) Crangonyx and Asellus all a lot more visible than they are normally when fish are present.

cheers Darrel

About daphnia... I have one tank recently restarted. It still has no fish and water becomes green. The tank has co2 injected for plants growth. I added some daphnia to multiply on green water snd to clear the water, but for some reason daphnias are dying out instead of multiplying. So the question is - daphnias do not tolerate co2?

Hi all,
So the question is - daphnias do not tolerate co2?
I don't know, but I would expect they are fairly CO2 tolerant.

A couple of thoughts is that they don't do well in soft water (or below pH7). Daphnia magna doesn't survive in my tanks, but other species are OK.

Also if there are fine bubbles (of any gas) in the tank these tend to collect under the Daphnia's carapace, stranding them on the surface.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I don't know, but I would expect they are fairly CO2 tolerant.

A couple of thoughts is that they don't do well in soft water (or below pH7). Daphnia magna doesn't survive in my tanks, but other species are OK.

Also if there are fine bubbles (of any gas) in the tank these tend to collect under the Daphnia's carapace, stranding them on the surface.

cheers Darrel

They did quite well in other tanks... should be same water more or less...
they cleaned this tank quite well and lived in that net for couple months:

Back