Nursery propagator with ultrasonic misting

Discussion in 'Hardware & DIY' started by Barbara Turner, 26 Mar 2020.

1. Barbara Turner

Barbara Turner Member

Currently sat on the windowsill on a heat mat fertilising with EI.

I will confess that it's the second version, Initially, I tried using a conventional propagator but the seal wasn't good enough and the water vapour was rolling across my desk.

20200326_180701.jpg
    20200326_180615.jpg
    20200326_180632.jpg

I'm currently running 20minutes off, 1 minute on from an Arduino.

The plan is to add some Cryptocoryne Parva and some mosses and liverworts, Slowly working on a jungle style tank layout.

Any suggestions what I should try growing (needs small leaves)

Gill, zozo, dw1305 and 1 other person like this.
  2. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    Very nice. I love foggers. They were just coming into commercial horticulture when I left, but they were obviously going to be the next big thing because you could root really small, soft cuttings with them.
    I'd go for a much <"weaker salts mix">, no more then a 1/4 EI and probably nearer 1/10.

You can still get <"fertiliser burn"> even with very weak solutions.

cheers Darrel

3. Barbara Turner

Barbara Turner Member

Thanks for the tip will do, It might be worth doing a water change anyway as I'm using a leftover bag of tropica powder soil so probably don't need to dose anything for a while, It's so easy to plant and nothing floats away.

4. Barbara Turner

Barbara Turner Member

I'll see how I get on with this one first..

Be cool to set up something like this with led lights attached above..
    If you were clever enough with the link pipes I imagine you would get away with only 3 misters in the top 3 drawers.
    I only paid £4 for the heatmat and a similar price for the mister.. The most expensive thing would be the soil..

Does anyone know how often I need to turn on the mister on to stop delicate plants drying out?
    [​IMG]

5. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Super Moderator Staff Member

Nice idea, I think the Trofast unit would soon warp and turn to weetabix though. It's only Particleboard, Paper foil, Plastic edging and it doesn't like moisture.

dw1305 likes this.
  6. Barbara Turner

Barbara Turner Member

They do a solid wood version, that might take a few more days before warping out of shape..
    I'm also not sure if you would have space to fit the lights in..be better to buy a sheet a marine ply and get the router out.

[​IMG]