• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

I'm starting to have trapped air troubles with the BM600. It's been going on for the past week, it seems abnormal.

Usually it has some air/co2 trapped which is pretty normal, but recently it's been a lot worse. I'm use to the small burps it lets out, but recently it has been letting out huge burps, the kind you get when you tilt the filter. It seems like there is a small air leak somewhere as i can hear it, but i can't work out where it's coming from.

I clean the filter every 2/3 weeks and lube up the seals. The only two things i can think of is:
1) i've damaged a seal by taking it out
2) loosened the body/seal from tilting it too much over the last year.

Just to update, i think i solved my air issue. I took it all apart and cleaned and lubricated it all again. I pushed the seals back in place, but not all the way as that would create more contact/better seal with the parts it touches when put back together. I also re-screwed the bits that lock in the hoses just incase.

If i had to guess what it was, maybe the prefilter tube holes were blocked with some leaf matter that got stuck between the tube and sponge rather than the sponges or tube being dirty as i clean them weekly.

Yes there is a visible upgrade but I'd say wait for confirmation that this is fixing the issue.
I also found out that you need to make sure this filter has enough inflow otherwise it sucks air.
For example, I improved slightly my surface skimmer flow and it reduced a lot the amount of air trapped in the canister
View attachment 144905View attachment 144906

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Which one of these heads is the updated one please I have a Oase 600 and it's purging would like to know if I have the updated head
Thx

I dismantled and cleaned the priming pump function for the first time after almost a year of use. Put it back together and it was working fine. The next time I needed the prime function, it was stuck. Took it apart again and put some Vaseline onto the rubber washer. Worked fine at first, but now stuck again. Has anyone else had this? How do you keep the priming pump button functioning smoothly?

Hi
i'm here because of a silly question. looking that video at 2.34mn
i simply can't understand how to calibrate the heater. i have my aquarium at 25º .
on the top weel i can see the number 0 and some marks . i need to put the zero on 25º? that it?[/MEDIA]

Hi
i'm here because of a silly question. looking that video
i simply can't understand how to calibrate the heater. i have my aquarium at 25º .
on the top weel i can see the number 0 and some marks . i need to put the zero on 25º? that it?

Set the heater "normally" and wait to tank to heat up to desired temp. If it heats it to 25°c thats great, if it goes over or doesn't reach the right temp you can use the calibration bit ontop to either turn it a little towards "+" or "-" to reach 25°c to "calibrate" it.

Just removed all the sponge from inside my 600t.
Unbranded pumice type media in all trays,with top tray empty.
Standard pre filter
Now that's serious flow!

Was going to do a before and after vid,just so I could compare..and see if it made a difference.
No need..it was obvious.
Now have to switch it off during maintenance..or I get wet!

Update.
Flow tailed off again.
Opened canister...clean
Repositioned and replumbed.hoses are now as short and straight as possible.
Got the flow back.

I have connected x2 850s to my new tank today. One make a 'woooosh' sound every 2-3 minutes. Is this normal?

Did a upgrade for the tank (and possible uprade to a 120cm tank) to a 850 thermo which will replacing my eheim 2217.
Reason would be the bigger flow, option for internal heater, easier maintenance and the prefilter.

The flow is better compared to my 2217.
Internal heater works + less equipment in the tank.
Maintenance and prefilter cleaning i still have to find out.

Also need to try if i still can use the aquamedic 1000 co2 reactor and if the 16/22 tubes fit on there. (fingers crossed).

All my filtermedia (Eheim Substrat & Eheim Mech) from the 2217 fits in the 850 filter. 1 basket (bottom) is still the blue foam which came with the filter + the top basket with the fine mesh (and a bag of purigen) is now running inside the filter.
So i get 1 extra basket (i already was using fine filterwhool and the purigen in the 2217 which is now the top basket in the 850).

I couldnt here my 2217 when it was running. The 850 makes more noice/buzzing sound which i could hear outside the cabinet. Its not vibrating it in the cabinet its purely the filterhead where the noice is coming from. Still hoping it will turn down over time in use.......

Also the 850 keeps putting out air every x minutes through the outflow..... Maybe it is trapped air from the new setup or air inside the blue filtermesh. But after running it 24h the air it is spitting out can't be from 1 mesh. So still hoping or trying to find out why this happens. But reading this topic it almost sounds like its a "feature" for these filters.......

Last edited:
Fitted my biomaster, I drilled additional holes for the ore filter and used pond siporax from my previous canister and the flow is pretty good, but I only have one sponge and the fine final sponge.
Pond siporax is quite large and won’t obstruct much flow compared to other media.

it’s louder than the fluval 407, I’ll have to see if I can reduce the hum

Last edited:
Now testing it with one sponge less in the pre-filter + moving them apart so small gaps in between are created.
Also need to find a way to reduce the humming. Pretty annoying sound to hear that in the living room.
But it's not the filter bottom housing which is vibrating. It's just the head/motor itself.

Edit: Still purging air now & then. Annoying this still happens + the watersurface in the tank is everytime full of bubbles.

Also placed the filter now outside the cabinet to test the noise/humming level there. But still a very annoying humming for the living room.
What to do with it......... I dont know. Was expecting a smoother experience with this filter in its price range. Don't like the idea to mod this filter to get rid of these issues.

Last edited:
Now testing it with one sponge less in the pre-filter + moving them apart so small gaps in between are created.
Also need to find a way to reduce the humming. Pretty annoying sound to hear that in the living room.
But it's not the filter bottom housing which is vibrating. It's just the head/motor itself.

Edit: Still purging air now & then. Annoying this still happens + the watersurface in the tank is everytime full of bubbles.

Also placed the filter now outside the cabinet to test the noise/humming level there. But still a very annoying humming for the living room.
What to do with it......... I dont know. Was expecting a smoother experience with this filter in its price range. Don't like the idea to mod this filter to get rid of these issues.
Any time the impellor makes any sort of noise that doesn't sound "normal", opening and re-seating it usually solves any issues. Also if your pipes are touching any part of the cabinet there will be more noise, solving this reduces any noises massively. I would say the hiss from my in-tank CO2 diffuser is louder than the filter if everything is running smoothly.

Back