• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

I have recently carried out some small modifications on my Classic 250. I’m tempted to get a 350 or even a 600.

View attachment IMG_9863.jpegApologies if this has been posted before, it is. L a long thread!

I’ve seen a lot of post and videos suggesting to drill extra holes in the pre-filter pipe.

I’ve just received my new Oase Biomaster Thermo 250 and the pipe looks different from what I saw in posts and videos. See image.

Does this mean that they’ve changed it or did I get an older version? Does the different pipe mean that drilling is no longer required?

View attachment 213791Apologies if this has been posted before, it is. L a long thread!

I’ve seen a lot of post and videos suggesting to drill extra holes in the pre-filter pipe.

I’ve just received my new Oase Biomaster Thermo 250 and the pipe looks different from what I saw in posts and videos. See image.

Does this mean that they’ve changed it or did I get an older version? Does the different pipe mean that drilling is no longer required?
Hi all,

It is a totally new approach from Oase. Looks like eventually they have listened. Yes it is a new pre filter shaft. Good luck.

Regards

Hi all,

That looks better straight away.

cheers Darrel
But will it make a difference? A guy on YouTube drilled extra holes in his pipe and it made no difference to the flow rate. I fitted a larger pipe with more holes and found the same thing.

Edit: I’ve recently noticed that my pre-filter sponges are getting clogged, and significantly more difficult to rinse out than they used to be. Perhaps this modification addresses the issue by spreading the intake flow over a larger area of the sponge. I still remain to be convinced about any overall difference in flow though.
Hopefully someone will do a test and upload the results to YouTube.

Last edited:
I wonder where you can buy the pipe for older Oase owners to upgrade? I would be interested in trying it for comparison.

I am always in two minds (a constant internal debate!) about flow. Some say 4x, some say 10x - and there is even research to suggest that 2x can also be very effective. I am currently getting around 550L/h from my Oase Biomaster 250, with a head height of about ~80cm - which makes sense when you look at the Oase 250 performance chart of the filters with that head height. That's not too bad on my small 100L tank, but the unit is rated for up to 250L - which would create a turnover of only 2x.

The mind-boggling question: Does flow matter! :D

I wonder where you can buy the pipe for older Oase owners to upgrade? I would be interested in trying it for comparison.

The mind-boggling question: Does flow matter! :D
Oase has an official online shop to buy replacement parts but it seems like this new pipe is too recent so it's not available yet. For the US site, their shipping cost is unreasonably high. $13 to ship a priming pump head or a prefilter tube :rolleyes:

IME flow matters a lot more for certain plants. I've had R. macrandra languish in a poor flow spot while other plants were doing fine. Put it in a higher flow spot and the plant takes off. Pretty sure certain Buce species are intolerant to low flow too.

I’d be happy to test and report back once I set it up but I don’t have anything to compare it too, unless you can think about things to check.

One thing I noticed is that it feels a bit short compared to length of sponges but perhaps that’s normal.

IME flow matters a lot more for certain plants. I've had R. macrandra languish in a poor flow spot while other plants were doing fine. Put it in a higher flow spot and the plant takes off. Pretty sure certain Buce species are intolerant to low flow too.
Ah yes, and that is where my other internal debate comes into play. I have to think about my fish and also my plants! Getting strong flow for me means a few guppies are enjoying a fairground ride!

I’d be happy to test and report back once I set it up but I don’t have anything to compare it too, unless you can think about things to check.

One thing I noticed is that it feels a bit short compared to length of sponges but perhaps that’s normal.
It is going to be hard to test. But we can get an indication. I would say setup the Oase, measure the head height (I.e. the distance between the top of the Oase unit to the outflow) and then do a simply test of how fast it can fill up a litre tub in X seconds).

It’s a pretty basic test but I can probably do some basic math and look at the Oase performance graph to assess if there is any difference.

Hi all,
It is going to be hard to test
@Phargon what you need is some-one to send you an original pre-filter pipe and then run the filter and record the number of days until flow slackens noticeably. Then rinse and repeat with the new filter pipe.

If you use the <"fine pre-filter sponge"> (45 PPI or 60 PPI) that originally came with the filter? It shouldn't take long for this to happen. Once you've decided which is the better option? <"Throw away all the fine sponge"> and use a 30 PPI (or less) <"option in use">.

cheers Darrel

I could try that, but won’t be for a while as I don’t have a stand for the tank yet, it’s a new setup.

Also as this is my first external filter, so I’ll have to make sure I don’t flood the house :)

The sponges are blue.

Measuring flow on an existing setup wasn’t very easy the last time I did it. Trying to exactly time how long it takes to fill a container of a known size without getting water all over the floor is not easy. Some type of flow meter should be much more accurate.

Measuring flow on an existing setup wasn’t very easy the last time I did it. Trying to exactly time how long it takes to fill a container of a known size without getting water all over the floor is not easy. Some type of flow meter should be much more accurate.
Speaking of flowmeters.... I did pick one up with the intention to keep it in the system to monitor flow rate over time. Trouble is I haven't figured out where to install it because it takes up so much space. The scale reading on this flowmeter for my system is probably very optimistic.

Attachments

• IMG_20231215_194012.jpg
    IMG_20231215_194012.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 55
Speaking of flowmeters.... I did pick one up with the intention to keep it in the system to monitor flow rate over time. Trouble is I haven't figured out where to install it because it takes up so much space. The scale reading on this flowmeter for my system is probably very optimistic.
I have one very similar and haven’t installed it for the same reason! I’ve had mine for quite a few years, still in the box somewhere. I’m pretty sure I posted a picture of it on here at some point.

Edit: I found a picture of mine. I bought it for a smaller filter so it doesn’t go high enough now.

IMG_2949.jpeg

Last edited:
I know it’s probably been discussed before in this thread but is there a consensus of the best configuration for the baskets with regards to media and sponges?

Is the bio media any good or better replaced with Seachem matrix (I have some 500ml spare).
Is it best to leave the basket sponges or replace with media/purigen/carbon/floss?

Sponges are the best static biomedia. If you have spare media and can fit it in without disrupting flow then adding it won't hurt. I wouldn't run carbon or purigen permanently. Floss is more of a maintenance choice, either no floss and low maintenance or with floss and you change/clean the floss weekly/fortnightly as required by your tank.

Back