• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster Users: Has anyone tried Concave upgrades?

Bradders

Hi All,

After some random surfing, I found these two upgrades for the Oase Biomaster. They are claiming better efficiency for the pump and better air eradication for the head unit. (Links below).

Has anyone seen/heard of these products or had any experience with them?

Thanks,
Brad

I have stumbled across the same thing but haven't seen any reviews anywhere, would be keen to know as well.

I picked up a Biomaster 600 Thermo for £90 the other day and it's a little loud. I have realised it probably needs a new impeller.

After cleaning and servicing the entire unit I found that the venting unit was missing and after some searching it looks like the venting element isn't a replacement part you can buy so was considering this concave head as an option.

I have stumbled across the same thing but haven't seen any reviews anywhere, would be keen to know as well.

I picked up a Biomaster 600 Thermo for £90 the other day and it's a little loud. I have realised it probably needs a new impeller.

After cleaning and servicing the entire unit I found that the venting unit was missing and after some searching it looks like the venting element isn't a replacement part you can buy so was considering this concave head as an option.
What’s the venting unit?

I think it's the newer head model that prevents air purging, but that may just mean this unit is old enough to never have had one in the past. Displayed here at 0:40s ()

A ha! I have seen that and now know what a venting unit is!

OK, I have ordered both the Motor Upgrade and Head Underplates. I have two Oase Biomasters, so I have the luxury of contingency if all goes wrong. Once they arrive, I'll fit, take pictures and let everyone know how it goes.

Before I do that, I really need to be clear on the test criteria so I know if these upgrades have done anything beneficial.

I’d definitely be interested in noise levels! Much more economical for me to buy a new head plate rather than a whole new head unit from Oase.

Only thing keeping me from loving this filter at the moment and not ditching for a fluval. Had a previous filtosmart which was a PITA but at least it was barely audible.

OK, I have a sound meter, so I will also put that to the test. Just bear in mind that I am doing this on a 250, though!

(Actually, I thought I did tell someone else on this forum that mine were pretty quiet, and did a sound test. And I am running two!)

If anyone else has tests they want (before and after), then let me know.

In the meantime, I will let you all know when the parts arrive and confirm the tests (which will be basic, really) that I will do.

However, the good thing is that one unit will be upgraded and my second Oase 250 will remain with standard equipment. So not too bad a comparison.

Well the claim is also better flow, that would certainly be interesting to demonstrate. I was just reading some posts about how to improve flow given inline equipment...
Yes, I was also thinking about that, as I don't have a flow meter. But I'll switch to manual and 3 x bucket filling tests before and after (with no changes to media or anything else).

I have to say, I can't see how it's going to improve flow. But hope springs ......

I also bought recently a used one 850 from Germany for 70eur+shipping. But without baskets and only one sponge. And the thermometer was diy version with 50w eheim. I just threw that termometer away and put the cap on. I got new baskets and filter media and drilled the holes on prefilter pipe.

I also have eheim 4+ 600 and can say the oase is significantly louder and burps air every now and then. It's older version. The first one.

I looked a lot how to fix the air intake and burping and didn't find any good solution. So I'm also interested in those upgrades.

Will keep you posted. Sadly, none of the Concave parts have arrived yet. As soon as they do, Ill post back here.

Hello, very interesting ! will follow your experiments ! :)

For the time being, the only solution I found to eradicate the h24 f..ing air burping was to tilt the filter permanently (just with a piece of wood below the canister to keep it tilted forward a little bit). Works perfectly. When after several weeks it starts burping again, it means that time has come to clean the prefilter :)

But if the upgrade does the job, I will buy it :)

For the time being, the only solution I found to eradicate the h24 f..ing air burping was to tilt the filter permanently (just with a piece of wood below the canister to keep it tilted forward a little bit). Works perfectly. When after several weeks it starts burping again, it means that time has come to clean the prefilter :)
will try the tilting ... thnx 👍
Just to let you know, I do this with the Oase.
  • Prime it (if needed)
  • Turn on the unit - wait for horrible noise as air expels for between 30 seconds and 2 mins.
  • Tilt (only slightly) to the left until you hear air expelling. Hold in that position until it goes quiet. Place back down.
  • Tilt (only slightly) to the right until you hear air expelling. Hold in that position until it goes quiet. Place back down.
I find that always sorts the air problem, if I have one. In essence, i have found the secret to be tilting slightly and holding until the noise stops.

Hello, I agree for the priming operation, to get rid of the air trapped in the canister. You usually do that with all filters (eheim, others). You can even stop the pump for 5 seconds and restart to complete the evacuation. After several tilts, the air stops burping. This is OK and the situation is steady for several days, then the filter starts burping air regularly, and this is the weak point of this filter. Tilting it permanently seems to prevent the air from accumulating in the filter. The very small quantity of air that may be produced is immediately expelled by the pump with no noise at all.
After several silent weeks, as the prefilter is accumulating dirt (but normally we should clean the prefilter once a week, but let's assume some procrastination... ;)), the flow is reduced and the tilting is not enough to expell the air, and the filter starts burping again.... so you clean the prefilters sponges and go for other quiet weeks :)

Hi all,
The very small quantity of air that may be produced is immediately expelled by the pump with no noise at all.
After several silent weeks, as the prefilter is accumulating dirt (but normally we should clean the prefilter once a week, but let's assume some procrastination... ;)), the flow is reduced and the tilting is not enough to expell the air, and the filter starts burping again.... so you clean the prefilters sponges and go for other quiet weeks
My filters <"aren't below the tank in a cabinet">, they are on work-tops etc. which means I have to be a lot more conscientious about keeping the hoses and pre-filters clean, because I don't have much vertical ht. difference to play with and otherwise I get these problems.

cheers Darrel

Hello, I agree for the priming operation, to get rid of the air trapped in the canister. You usually do that with all filters (eheim, others). You can even stop the pump for 5 seconds and restart to complete the evacuation. After several tilts, the air stops burping. This is OK and the situation is steady for several days, then the filter starts burping air regularly, and this is the weak point of this filter. Tilting it permanently seems to prevent the air from accumulating in the filter. The very small quantity of air that may be produced is immediately expelled by the pump with no noise at all.
After several silent weeks, as the prefilter is accumulating dirt (but normally we should clean the prefilter once a week, but let's assume some procrastination... ;)), the flow is reduced and the tilting is not enough to expell the air, and the filter starts burping again.... so you clean the prefilters sponges and go for other quiet weeks :)
When did you buy your Oase filter? Was it a long time ago?

Back