• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase vs Eheim Externals with Thermal

Fluxtor

Hey all, looking for thoughts on comparison between Oase Biomaster Thermal range and Eheim professional 4+ 350T (biggest they do). Anyone tried both and have a favorite or is there no competition? Are these considered the best on the market or is there better?

I'm researching for a future setup of around 250-300 litres,

TIA

I have no experience of the larger Oase filters but from reading on here i think one of the main benefits is the easily accessible pre filter but a good few people have reported that they can be noisy and are prone to purging air.
Eheim professional 4+ 350T (biggest they do)
They do actually make a larger Thermo Filter (which is what I have) EHEIM professionel 3 1200XLT but you have to remove the head to access the pre filter in which case a full clean might as well ensue which is what I do every two or three weeks. It has been running for seven years now and also stored for three mid term and has never caused me any problems whatsoever although once again there have been reports of newer Eheim products not being as sturdy as earlier models.
Ultimately the choice is yours.

I have no experience of the larger Oase filters but from reading on here i think one of the main benefits is the easily accessible pre filter but a good few people have reported that they can be noisy and are prone to purging air.

They do actually make a larger Thermo Filter (which is what I have) EHEIM professionel 3 1200XLT but you have to remove the head to access the pre filter in which case a full clean might as well ensue which is what I do every two or three weeks. It has been running for seven years now and also stored for three mid term and has never caused me any problems whatsoever although once again there have been reports of newer Eheim products not being as sturdy as earlier models.
Ultimately the choice is yours.

In my experience with 3 oase biomasters (2x 600's and 1x 350), the air purge isn't really much of an issue with the improved head design. If you're really worried about it and buy one without the new prefilter tubes, just drill some bigger holes in it. I only very rarely get air purges, and that's usually if something is partially blocking an inlet.

I'd say they're great filters. Not had any issues, and they're nice to deal with. Handles on them, prefilter, integrated heater. I'd love if the 600's and up had a bit more powerful pumps though.

I’ve got a 350 and never had the Air Purge issue. All canisters that I’ve had get a little trapped air when installed/cleaned but it soon finds its way out with a little rocking. The Biomaster certainly hasn’t been any worse. I suspect the modified head plate might improve expelling air a bit quicker though? The new pre-filter inlet pipe has made no noticeable difference to my 350 but I’m hoping it may improve inlet foam clogging as I don’t clean as often as I should.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm liking the Biosmaster 850 as O like the idea of the prefilter.

Thanks for the input. I think I'm liking the Biosmaster 850 as O like the idea of the prefilter.
I put a sponge on the inlet pipe of my Ehiem Classic 350 and it does a better job of keeping the media clean than the Biomaster. I don’t like it being in the tank but I had to install it to stop baby shrimps being sucked up. Luckily it’s at the back of the tank so you can’t see it.

Having a nano 35 ltr the thermo is liberating. I also do the inlet sponge thing using an Eheim Pickup filter sponge.
I will say no more as i am a tad superstitious.
Thermo 100. Cut down sponges. Seachem Matrix Jammed to the max.

Si

Back