• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Odd parasite in tank. HELP?

So im supposed to just let these things run my tank? There are so many of them. And if they hatched from my plant, doesnt that mean they'll keep coming back? Can i just add a pinch of salt to get rid of them or will that not kil them? I want them gone. :(
Sorry I don't have a better answer...
Maybe you could syphon out some water from your tank, pass it throug a fine mesh or those media bag and put the water back in the tank...it't time consuming but it will eliminate most larvaes if you do it several times...

Sorry I don't have a better answer...
Maybe you could syphon out some water from your tank, pass it throug a fine mesh or those media bag and put the water back in the tank...it't time consuming but it will eliminate most larvaes if you do it several times...
Haha dont be sorry! Im a lot nore educated than i was a few days ago! I just dont know how to deal with this haha. its my first tank and i already have had ick and now this! :p i have horrible luck. Ill vacuume the rocks and add the water back. After cleaning them. Ill stir up the rocks. Once i get a chance ill try adding some aquarium salt. Just to kill any unwanted stuff. Maybe get a loach

Hi all,
Hitchhikers In Freshwater Tanks & Ponds - Tropical Discussion - Tropical Fish Forums
Good link.
Once i get a chance ill try adding some aquarium salt. Just to kill any unwanted stuff. Maybe get a loach
So im supposed to just let these things run my tank? There are so many of them. And if they hatched from my plant, doesnt that mean they'll keep coming back? Can i just add a pinch of salt to get rid of them or will that not kil them? I want them gone

Kristina don't add salt, it doesn't serve any useful purpose in the aquarium and is actively damaging to your plants.

Same with adding fish, find out a bit about them before you buy them. So for Loaches you need to ask "is it happy on its own?", "how big will it grow?", "does it like to dig?", "is it aggressive to other fish?". Go to a source that offers good advice, in this case there is a resource "Loaches on-line" <Loaches Online - Community Edition — Loaches Online>.

Whether you want to run a very clean tank is up to you, but you need to remember that in most cases what you use to kill unwanted guests is much more dangerous than the guests themselves.

I'd suggest just syphoning out any thing you see if you don't like them. Personally I like as much life as possible, and I actively add Asellus, Ostracods etc. but I understand not every-one is going to want to do this.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Good link.

Kristina don't add salt, it doesn't serve any useful purpose in the aquarium and is actively damaging to your plants.

Same with adding fish, find out a bit about them before you buy them. So for Loaches you need to ask "is it happy on its own?", "how big will it grow?", "does it like to dig?", "is it aggressive to other fish?". Go to a source that offers good advice, in this case there is a resource "Loaches on-line" <Loaches Online - Community Edition — Loaches Online>.

Whether you want to run a very clean tank is up to you, but you need to remember that in most cases what you use to kill unwanted guests is much more dangerous than the guests themselves.

I'd suggest just syphoning out any thing you see if you don't like them. Personally I like as much life as possible, and I actively add Asellus, Ostracods etc. but I understand not every-one is going to want to do this.

cheers Darrel
Ive just been told that a pinch of salt can kill unwanted pests and can benifit my fish from a few different pet stores and fish shops. Im very uncomfortable having these pests in my tank and am very unsure how to perm. Get rid of them. I cannot see them in my tank, i only notice them in my tank when i do a water change. I see them in the bucket of water i take out. I dont know anymore what to do haha.. I keep being told a bunch of things. Some people say leave them in, but honestly thats not an option for me. So pretty much what youre saying is stir up the rocks and do a sweep up of the floating stuff and that'll eventually take them out?

Hi all,
Ive just been told that a pinch of salt can kill unwanted pests and can benifit my fish from a few different pet stores and fish shops
Don't listen to them.
Have a look here: "Water Chemistry: Osmoregulation, Ionic Imbalance & pH" in "The New England Cichlid" A NEW ENGLAND CICHLID ASSOCIATION PUBLICATION April 1, 2011.
<http://www.tbas1.com/Exchange/The%20New%20England%2011.pdf>
I keep being told a bunch of things
That is the problem, you need reliable sources to go to in my opinion this is one of them. Another source that I rate highly is the "Skeptical Aquarist" <Salt | The Skeptical Aquarist> & <Invertebrates | The Skeptical Aquarist>
So pretty much what youre saying is stir up the rocks and do a sweep up of the floating stuff and that'll eventually take them out?
Yes.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

Don't listen to them.
Have a look here: "Water Chemistry: Osmoregulation, Ionic Imbalance & pH" in "The New England Cichlid" A NEW ENGLAND CICHLID ASSOCIATION PUBLICATION April 1, 2011.
<http://www.tbas1.com/Exchange/The%20New%20England%2011.pdf>

That is the problem, you need reliable sources to go to in my opinion this is one of them. Another source that I rate highly is the "Skeptical Aquarist" <Salt | The Skeptical Aquarist> & <Invertebrates | The Skeptical Aquarist>

Yes.

cheers Darrel
Thank you so much. I do appreciate it! I mean if youre adding these things.. I can always ship them over to you! Haha. :) i'll take a good look at the provided information and print off a lot of it so i can always have a copy on hand :p

Back