• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Off Camera Flash

Mark Webb

Just considering some new kit to light my tank shots. Does anyone use off camera flash (I am using Canon 430 + 580 Speedlites) + brolly reflectors with success?

ive not used brollys with my speedlights but done it with stofens pointed down from above. The problem I always have is that my flash cable is too short so ive tended to use studio lights on stands as its easier, like this usually

4041150330_7f86e1822b_o.jpg

Thanks Stu.
I have been considering studio lights but may get more use from an umbrellas setup on a stand so just trying to decide which way to go.

I have just purchased one of these for wireless trigger which you may find useful.

Wireless Trigger

id say for taking picks of tanks you may get more use out of a softbox and a boom so you can position it above your tank. You can then use a single flash then for the whole tank and use the second for rear flash or something. Thats what id go for anyway. Have you seen the guides on the CAU site?

Re the triggers I have been meaning to get some myself, its one other thing on the long list! Shame you lose TTL info with them but if you get ones that do TTL like pocketwizards you're then into the hundreds :(

I have to say that is my gut feeling. Would a boom fit a standard Stand?
Dont think I have seen tha CAU site - stands for?

personally i don't use umbrellas or reflectors. just don't see the point. i've also seen an amano image and the lighting into the tank is direct also.

STLA.jpg

flashpractise2.jpg

You get great results without Mark. I would just like to achieve faster shutter speeds, therefore considering some extra light.

saintly said:
personally i don't use umbrellas or reflectors. just don't see the point. i've also seen an amano image and the lighting into the tank is direct also.
I see where youre coming from mark. I think my shrimp tank picture in my sig was direct off studio. Markwebb would still need to buy stands for his flashes though unless he has four hands :) or do what theyve dont on the pic below

Id quite like to go down the softbox router or at least try it as it looks like it would stop a lot of the reflection (of you the photog) on the tank. It also means people could then get away with one flash for their photography thus negating the need to buy two. I guess the tank width would also dictate if you could use a softbox though.

Mark Webb said:
I have to say that is my gut feeling. Would a boom fit a standard Stand?
Dont think I have seen tha CAU site - stands for?

Im not sure on what you need for the boom but ive seen them used a few times, it may be a complete unit. There was a polish guy who has his own website with pics of him using it but i cant find it now.

here's the Creative Aquascaping Union website (CAU) not sure if you need to be registered to see it tho?

http://www.cau-aqua.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=3&id=14&Itemid=40

heres a really simple idea on CAU

CAU website said:

stuworrall said:
I see where youre coming from mark. I think my shrimp tank picture in my sig was direct off studio. Markwebb would still need to buy stands for his flashes though unless he has four hands :) or do what theyve dont on the pic below

Id quite like to go down the softbox router or at least try it as it looks like it would stop a lot of the reflection (of you the photog) on the tank. It also means people could then get away with one flash for their photography thus negating the need to buy two. I guess the tank width would also dictate if you could use a softbox though.

true, IME 2 heads is an ideal set up for a 60cm with black or white background. when you move to a 90cm, things become harder with 2 lights. not so bad with a black background on a 90cm. but if your trying to illuminate a white background, then a 3rd light is needed i reckon, maybe a 4th

RE. softboxes, i found them to be cumbersome really. 1 200w head with a softbox would be good (and is) it's just situating it over the tank that was a pain.

maybe because i've got 2 200w heads i can have them real high and get doses of light from them, the height gives better spread, rather than a hot spot when closer to the tank. shielding the light is a good thing too.

stuworrall said:
So jealous of those Bowens!

:lol:

Back