Off to Wales! Yay me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Chit-Chat' started by Steve Smith, 29 Aug 2008.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Heading off to Wales for a few days tomorrow. Staying with a few friends in a static caravan in the middle of nowhere, next to a river apparently (*please don't flood!*) I'm taking my camera so fingers crossed they'll be lots of photo ops :)

Anyhow, back Monday night!

2. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

Where about in gods great country are you staying?

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I don't avtually know :D Sort of middle-north i think. Possibly near Bets-y-coed (spelling?)

4. Luketendo

Luketendo Member

I've been to Bets-y-coed I'm pretty sure there's a fast flowing river through it with a waterfall and lots of rocks to climb. - just googled and it seems that I am correct.

Remember to pick up some rocks while you're there, I can't remember who here lives in Wales but he uses them in aquascapes.

5. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

It's Dave Spencer :)

I traveled the entire coast of Wales over the bank holiday and it was a wonderful journey, lots of beautiful scenery and loads to do. You'll have a ball boyo LOL

6. Spider Pig

Spider Pig Member

Piece of advice, avoid Caernarfon at night. Beautiful castle but rough as hell at night. Was there over the bank holiday and popped in for some food and saw a couple of fights just wondering back to our car- got out of there sharpish.

If the weather's good and you want a bit of a thrill with good scenery take the Crib goch route up snowdon from pen-y-pass. Bit hairy in places but great shots of snowdon and the valley and of the ridge as well. But knowing what welsh weather is like...

7. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I'm here in a static caravan with some friends and my friends 12 year old daughter. So we're pretty much just walking about on some trails by the river and stuff. Went out yesterday late afternoon after getting settled into the caravan and I took a load of pics :) Light wasn't great though. Lots of pics of knarled trees and stuff.

I'm currently sitting in the library in the town of llanfyllin, which is about 5 mins drive from the caravan site. Lovely looking town :) I had to get an internet fix though ;)

Heading back shortly for a cooked breakfast :lol:

8. teg1203

teg1203 Member

You're just up the road from me. Quick warning - don't go into Welshpool for a drink - full of banjo players. :lol: Not really - it's not too bad. Nice garden centre there though - Coed-Y-Dinas. Father-in law works there and they have a small fish section, but it's worth "grockling" around and you can have a great bacon sarnie in the cafe. :D Powys castle is well worth a trip too - really nice gardens.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Back :) I'll post some pics later or tomorrow when I've had a chance too. I'm just vegging out at the mo :)

10. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

hope you had a good time :)

11. JamesM

JamesM Member

Count yourself lucky Steve... we don't normally let people leave :twisted:

12. teg1203

teg1203 Member

Somewhere in the distance the sound of a banjo being tuned. :lol:

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Lucky escape for me then :)

Here's a small selection of the better photos I took (probably could do with some tweaking but haven't had time):

Lake Vyrnwy:
    2821169864_7c93011783_o.jpg

2820330477_b9a86d9470_o.jpg

2821171180_b708a336d7_o.jpg

My friend's daughter:
    2821166198_ddec546542_o.jpg

Cool rock arrangement:
    2821166026_45652eb521_o.jpg

Small brook:
    2821165664_752769e065_o.jpg

14. Thomas McMillan

Thomas McMillan Member

My favourite is the last one - very nice photos though.

15. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

16. teg1203

teg1203 Member

Nice one SteveUK some nice shots. :D

I like the shots of Vyrnwy - flat calm, like a millpond - that doesn't happen all the time.

Hope the weather hasn't put you off Wales. I think it would have been the same result all over the UK. ;)

17. Garuf

Garuf Member

That picture of the lake, despite being unable to swim my first thought was "If I ran and jumped off that it'd be great fun!".