• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Old school box filter.

20210126_202455.jpg

Does anyone still use one of these old box filter. I remembered I had one in the back of the cupboard so I cleaned it and added to my tank with a small amount of activated carbon and a sponge so when I start my next tank I'll have ready cycled material.

Mine is still in the back of the cupboard. :)
Useful to have for things like that, or adding a bit of carbon or whatever without upsetting the main filter. I think they aren't used so much these days simply because little power filters are so cheap.

I've got a couple in the loft as well. I tend to just stick a sponge on some airline now though as I can use black sponge and hide it behind the hardscape.

They are pretty sufficient too with the extra aeration they provide to the media... If you search some China webshops they are still made today in a more fancy modern design. :)

d8aebfab-e606-4025-9589-b8d2f38fb06c.jpeg.webp

What I personally don't like is the constant noise of the air pump... But must say had a few rather small DC 12 volt air pumps for some experimental projects that were pretty quite... You can find them verry cheaply on eBay for a few dollar as a used item from discarded Coffee machines, I believe they are used in it to make the foamy milk for Cappuccino. They actually are surprisingly quiet and relatively powerful for its size. :)

These filters actually still a must-have for breeders to raise fry... They all still use them.

Last edited:
Back