open topped tanks - advice needed please

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by aaronnorth, 21 Sep 2008.

1. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

what happens if something gets into the tank like air freshners, dust etc. aret you ever worried about it?

If i get a liminaire, i was thinking about getting a piece of plastic to go over the tank to stop this, thanks.

2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

never had problems in any way shape or form. surface movement keeps those problems to a minimum

3. Tom

Tom Member

Air fresheners/deodorants have been thought to be able to wipe out a tank, but 2 of my 3 tanks in my room are open topped and none have any problems.

Tom

4. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

Never had any problems with mine and its been running since 2003 only problem I get is evaporation about 30l a week on a hot week !!!!!!!

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

30l! thats half my tank :lol: you do have MH hich could be a big problem?

6. JazzyJeff

JazzyJeff Member

They are Mercury Vapours, but yeah could be down too that as well !!!!!!!! Although when I had my 5x2x2 in the dining room that was open topped as well and I was always topping the sump up !!!!!

7. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

I lots countless fish due to deodorant getting into my open top nano, only once I switched to roll on did it stop. I would think the same applies to spray air fresheners. Lots of them say on the tin 'harmful to aquatic life'.

I'd be careful with any open top tank.

Sam

8. howardish

howardish Member

I have an open top in my room and the only problem i get is evaporation, on a 60l it works out around 1 or 2l a week.

I have spray deoderant and havent had a problem but assume the obvious...that the closer you use it the more likely damage is going to happen...answer to this...face the other way and make sure the room is ventilated in some way.

Thanks, Howard

9. altaaffe

altaaffe Member

I have open top tanks in 2 rooms, my wife used to use spray air fresheners in the dining room (where one is situated) and we had no problems. However to err on the safe side these have been removed and 'solid' air fresheners are now used.

10. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

thanks for the replies, the only worry would be air freshner (it is in the living room)

might just get a plastic sheet to cover it.

11. howardish

howardish Member

erm...on top of my previous post about having no problems with open tops...

im just doing maintenance...water changes...trimming etc... on my tank and i have just found a dried out otocinclus on the floor next to the filter. :arghh:

So err.. maybe the plastic top might be a good idea after all.

Howard :(

12. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

:(

well i suppose it depends on which fish you have but i didnt think ottos were jumpers!

13. altaaffe

altaaffe Member

I have a sheet of perspex (cut to size with gaps for pipes & equipment) which goes over the tank in the dining room to prevent my parrot getting into the tank, however, I don't like to keep it on as I feel it may have an effect on the light getting through after scratches appear & dust, etc settles on it. So it only goes on for the time that he is out, I'm probably only being paranoid but I have also thought about building a a perspex cover that would encasethe top of the tank & the light unit.

On that note, I found a few fish dried out the other day but this was after a major rip out of plants, I can only think that the decided to take refuge in some of the ripped out plants and came out of the tank with them. With the water level low enough, it's the only way I can think they got out.

14. Egmel

Egmel Member

This is my dream, it would be the perfect place to grow orchids :) One day when I have the money... i,e. have finished my perpetual studenthood, bought a house, started a pension and all the other sensible things I need to do first! :rolleyes:

15. beeky

beeky Member

I'm a bit fussy about spraying things and don't use them if possible. If you can smell them then it's going into your lungs which can't be good for you. My inlaws insist on using Raid when a fly enters the room, I usually find an excuse to go out!Spraying chemicals into the air because it smells nice doesn't seem right to me either.

I usually get a seat on the train on my own as well..... :lol:

16. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

I couldn't agree more. Its almost like many people are looking for an excuse to squirt chemicals all over the place.

When my housemate polishes his room it reeks so bad that I leave the house for an hour or so. Then he laughs at me when I just use a damp cloth instead :rolleyes:

17. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Same goes for rubbing chemicals all over yourself in the shower (have you looked at just what's in shower gel?) that cant be good either. Sorry hijacking this thread a bit.

Sam

18. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

well its not me, it is my mum. i dont like the smell anyway :lol:

and my dad sometimes sprays polish (just to make the floor slippery) good fun though :p

19. Egmel

Egmel Member

The same as in bubble bath, which you get 4 times as much for half the price ;)

But seriously, I don't understand the need to use air fresheners, I prefer to open a window... and then you let the beasties in to lay eggs in you tank ;)

20. Fred Dulley

Fred Dulley Member

Us non-smelly people are just lucky I guess. Hehehe. ;)

I've always fancied an open top tank. Hope you go ahead with it Aaron. :)