• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Opinions

Trebor127

Decoded to have a go at starting deciding where I should be placing the wood and rocks..done a couple up to now...

Can anyone identify what type of rock I am using? I was given it but he was unsure what it was.

1st attempt so it will most definitely change but just need some opinions on where to place various things...

adb6e02d3ffe684264346166c938532d.jpg

42f985dbcbbdc0267c80acd15a3e1ab1.jpg

17329a422458a71bf23735e4ee356c0c.jpg

Quite like them both, i feel the rocks in both are fairly deliberately placed (if you know what i mean) but guess that would soften with the planting etc..If you made me choose i would go the last photo but move the left most rock to the right (creating a space on the left) and all rocks, particularly those at the front, tighter towards the wood.

Wood looks good, rocks i am not convinced? I think the rocks should either be part of the central wood island and reaching out, or not in there at all?

Better minds than mine will come along and advise i am sure

What sort of fish are you planning or likely to impulse add?
If you're keen on cichids, I'd choose the more swept out placement of wood/rocks, similar if you end up with wild caught ... not many fish prefer the open expanse, you'll tend to see more relaxed/interesting behaviors when fish can venture into the open areas but "disappearance cover" is only a dart away.

I like wood that crawls over rocks rather than rocks surround wood sort of layout, also "natural" lines that fall between rocks whether the rocks have been scattered or still layered (more) atop each other.
Also remember that when you add water - AND LIGHTING - perception changes ...
I think you have Aquasoil substrate though so less forgiving to fill/empty/refill tank without clouding (though if you're patient & use the plastic "cover" with trickle flow, "cloud" should be minimal).

What sort of plant style are you planning, more "jungle" or more "iwagumi"?

If you're more likely to observe tank from one side (not thinking of front here), then consider if you want a slope from left to right (as well as front to back), rather than the "valley" effect - the difference in perception is quite significant when you have that l.o.n.g slope.

Are you going to leave more wood visible or likely to disguise with mosses? bare wood, like bare rocks, will direct the eye more strongly than moss cloaked.

If I've not said so before, it's a stunning tank & cabinet!

What sort of fish are you planning or likely to impulse add?
If you're keen on cichids, I'd choose the more swept out placement of wood/rocks, similar if you end up with wild caught ... not many fish prefer the open expanse, you'll tend to see more relaxed/interesting behaviors when fish can venture into the open areas but "disappearance cover" is only a dart away.

I like wood that crawls over rocks rather than rocks surround wood sort of layout, also "natural" lines that fall between rocks whether the rocks have been scattered or still layered (more) atop each other.
Also remember that when you add water - AND LIGHTING - perception changes ...
I think you have Aquasoil substrate though so less forgiving to fill/empty/refill tank without clouding (though if you're patient & use the plastic "cover" with trickle flow, "cloud" should be minimal).

What sort of plant style are you planning, more "jungle" or more "iwagumi"?

If you're more likely to observe tank from one side (not thinking of front here), then consider if you want a slope from left to right (as well as front to back), rather than the "valley" effect - the difference in perception is quite significant when you have that l.o.n.g slope.

Are you going to leave more wood visible or likely to disguise with mosses? bare wood, like bare rocks, will direct the eye more strongly than moss cloaked.

If I've not said so before, it's a stunning tank & cabinet!

I haven't yet decided but thinking of 1 or 2 shoals of smaller species, maybe 25 of each? and a couple of larger fish for presence.

You're correct, it is ADA amazonia aquasoil. I am not going to put any water in until my Hardscape is exactly how I want it. Rushed things in the past and ended up spending twice what I needed to. So going to take time with this one.

I'm going to plant a low level for ground plant up to and around the rocks,. Moss tied to the wood in various places then a couple of 'bushy' plants in the rear. I haven't even started looking at what plants yet! Haha. Still deciding what equipment to put in. Got to buy co2 bits and pieces yet - got a regulator and that's it at the minute.

It's in the hallway so can be viewed from the front, the right and partially (a few inches) from the left.

Will see how it progresses. I can have a change round when I come down each day...

Rob

Back