• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Options to improve the flow

parotet

Hi all

I have a 60 cm tank which is my first attempt of a high tech. Everything's fine after 3 months, thanks to your advice I improved my pH profile, a changed to a spraybar, to a CO2 atomizer, etc. The tank looks like this

za6ejene.jpg

After trimming I have noticed that now that the plant biomass is higher the flow is not that good. Some indicators: some coating algae on the lower leaves of the background plants, some algae on the sides of the tank, even a small spot of BGA in the left front corner. Nothing to be worried about, but I guess this situation will be worst during the next months with more biomass. I recognize that it is not the easiest hardscape for a beginner... You know plenty of branches and plants that difficult the flow, but now this cannot be changed and I really love it. It is a challenge. So definitely I have to improve the flow. These are my 3 ideas:

1. Change the spraybar config. Now I have 10 holes every 5 cm along the back... Will it help to make less holes, more holes???
The jets really hit the front glass as recommended.

2. Add a Koralia Nano 900. Not expensive and incredibly small (6cm) but the question is where. I think it should be placed helping the spraybar flow, so that means on the back. Center? Center just under the spraybar or lower? Will it really solve the flow problem of the sides?

3. Add Eheim surface skimmer with a double function, get rid of the surface scum (which is not really a serious problem to me, but I guess it would help) and have an additional outflow. I really don't know if the flow can be compared to the Koralia, probably not. Another thing I don't like is this item is quite big for a 60 cm, isn't it?

Thanks for your help,
Jordi

Tank looks lovely. I have my spray bar half way down the back and a Koralia 900 above it near top centre. I also have my ceramic diffuser in the centre at the back.

It works well for my 80 ltr size tank with good flow and CO2 distribution. As the Koralia moves the surface water by ripple, I don't get any surface scum to worry about either.
It is a case of trying different things until you get it right.

Harry.

Tank looks lovely. I have my spray bar half way down the back and a Koralia 900 above it near top centre. I also have my ceramic diffuser in the centre at the back.

It works well for my 80 ltr size tank with good flow and CO2 distribution. As the Koralia moves the surface water by ripple, I don't get any surface scum to worry about either.
It is a case of trying different things until you get it right.

Harry.
Sounds good... I didn't know if a Koralia 900 would deliver to much flow. As far as I understand you use the Koralia to ripple the surface (pointing straight to the front?) and the spraybar to ensure good flow, isn't it? It makes sense as the spraybar distributes the flow all along the tank more efficiently than the Koralia.

Jordi

It makes sense as the spraybar distributes the flow all along the tank more efficiently than the Koralia.

I agree the flow direction from your spray bar ensures movement right along the back. I use my Koralia just under the surface and pointing towards the front but slightly downwards. Because of the design of the Koralia it has a great spread of flow and does not concentrate too much 'jet' in one direction therefore I doubt the flow would be too much.
My tank is same length as yours and I get good movement with visible, but not excessive, plant movement in all the corners.

Harry.

Finally got me a Koralia 900 nano pump... Even it is a very small pump it is not exactly beautiful to see it in the center of the background in such a small tank (60 cm) but it does its work, now all the plants really move, even the ones on the corners. I will test if there is another configuration that looks best. My new cloud mountain minnows seem very happy with the flow!

Jordi

Hi again, just one question: do you run the Koralia 24 hours or do you use a timer to run it only with CO2? Cloud mountain minnows look happy but it must be exhausting to fight against the flow the whole day (yeah, human brain thinking, I am not a fish)... I know that flow has also benefits regarding nutrients uptake through the biofilm on the leaves, but what would you do?

Jordi

do you run the Koralia 24 hours

Hi Jordi,

It's your choice really, I had a noisy Koralia at one stage ( noisy impeller rather than the noise you get when a bit of plant gets stuck in there) and until I bought a new pump I was switching off over night with no detriment to plants or fish.
Since getting my new pump which is now running at acceptable decibels:) I run it 24 hours as it ripples the surface and helps with overnight oxygen levels. However if I want to switch off while doing water changes or other servicing to power head or tank it's just so convenient.

If you feel the flow is a bit too strong (your tank is slightly smaller than mine I believe) then just have it turning off overnight., just as long as it comes on with your CO2 so that the gas and ferts are nicely dispersed.

Harry.

Hi again, just one question: do you run the Koralia 24 hours or do you use a timer to run it only with CO2? Cloud mountain minnows look happy but it must be exhausting to fight against the flow the whole day (yeah, human brain thinking, I am not a fish)... I know that flow has also benefits regarding nutrients uptake through the biofilm on the leaves, but what would you do?

Jordi
well I leave mine on all the time - to follow your logic - streams don't switch off at night .... don't want stagnant pockets building up at night .. in fact I put an extra one on overnight to add some air bubbles ,as I inject CO2 in the day and I was finding the fish at the top in the morning (checked at various times at night first the geek I am) also I work on the principle that the plants transpire at night so ... have to cut my plants with a machete tho !!:sour:

Hi Cherry, thanks for your reply... is your tank so small? Mine is 65 liters, the flow is quite significant all over it. Fish play with it. Of course there are a some areas with less flow. You know, it is a bit confusing to me. I am not a fish and I feel it must be exhausting to fight all the day long against the flow. I suppose that even if they come from rivers, fish will go sometimes to stagnant areas to rest, isn't it? It's a pity I cannot discuss this with them ;)

For the moment the Koralia is switched to the CO2 timer, if it works I will keep it this way. If it doesn't I will switch it 24/7.

Jordi

You know, it is a bit confusing to me. I am not a fish

That is so reassuring to know.:lol: especially as I've been talking to you the last few days.!!

It really isn,t a problem mate, when it comes to running your pump or even your CO2 24/7 some do and some don't. Do what you think works best for your tank.
You are certainly right, I used to live in a house that had a trout stream running through the land and played in there as a child. Trout love fast flowing water but could be observed 'sitting' under banks or to the leeward side of large rocks on occasions where the flow was less. Other times they swam upstream into the faster flowing water.

Your own observation will show you the way to go:thumbup:

Harry

no, mine is a 200 litre tank ,so I guess I have quiet spots!:yuck: I have tow external filters though that turn over approx 600 litres an hour - plus a koralia and a little "night pump" I am interested in experiences with in line CO2 - maybe that's a different thread!:p
Just set up a shrimp tank too (31 litres) so dont know anything about that yet!:wideyed:

Quick update - well I have "demolished " my little tank - just as it had matured :rage: as it turns out there was a fault with the trickle filter (ie if it got at all blocked,the excess water went over the edge rather than into tank) - otis rehomed ,gravel in blanket.
Ended up spending more money:locktopic: but the shop was really good (maidenhead aquautics) and I am happy - although going to have to mature the new tank again .had ordered my shrimp (from Sharnbrook shrimp) but luckily they hadnt been dispatched yet ,so all is well
They were a brand new design of tank ,but they are thinking of returning them all!!!

Back