• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Optiwhite Aquarium

twg

Hey All,

Just a quick one..

I've purchased and collected an optiwhite cube aquarium complete with cabinet which I'm very pleased with. The only problem is I've just noticed that one of the glass panels doesn't actually appear to be optiwhite at all and is actually very green in colour. Its pretty apparent now when I compare it to the other 3 which are a nice clear blue tint and you can see near enough the whole way through.

Would it be fairly normal for an optiwhite aquarium to have a single panel which is float glass? As perhaps the backing of the aquarium?

I just don't want to seem like a plonker when I give the shop a call :)

Thanks guys.

I have certainly seen custom built aquariums where it is an option to have the base and maybe the back in cheaper glass and optiwhite for the front and sides, even sometimes seen optiwhite front with cheaper glass on the sides too, all depends on what you want to spend. Who manufactured the aquarium?

At least here (in Spain), this is quite common for custom tanks, as you can save up to 15% of the cost. However, I do prefer complete optiwhite tanks because if you ever scratch the front glass you will be able to use it next time as the back one. Additionally tanks are not really expensive IMO, at least considering that if you are reasonably careful they can last quite a lot of years.

Jordi

It's not unusual for custom built optiwhite tanks to have a cheaper float glass back, but it's usually a personal specification, allowing the purchaser to save a few bucks, and I guess that's fine for a built in aquarium. However, for a free standing tank it seems a bit counterproductive since - depending on set up - there is a good chance the green tint of the float glass will still ruin the otherwise clear optiwhite effect.

Appreciate all the replies.

Turns out it is a standard thing for this particular aquarium to have a float glass back panel, which isn't a big deal to me really.

Cheers

Back