• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oryzias woworae biotope

The build started this weekend with the construction of the corner HMF. Pipework is still lacking.
20230521_115123.jpg

Then came several hours of cutting out random bits of cardboard for templates for the bank.
20230521_122220.jpg

I wanted the bank to sit a few inches away from the filter to avoid dead spots, so even though it will look as if the hardscape takes up a lot of space, it actually won't as in reality it will only be an inch or so thick for the majority of the height. I'm hoping that leaving this space will both help with flow and remove and small gaps that livestock might get stuck in. I used correx to construct the framework for the bank:
20230521_130632.jpg

This was then covered in expanding foam and carved into shape. I got carried away at this point and stopped taking photos. Once all the shiny bits were carved away (the silicone won't stick to this) and the shape was what I wanted, I started the really messy bit! Marine grade silicone was smeared all over and then crushed tropica substrate was pressed into that. I crushed the substrate in my nutribullet; I knew I'd find a use for it! Once all that had cured, I smeared another coat of silicone over the top to seal it and prevent the substrate from dissolving under water. I then coated it with another layer of crushed substrate, mainly to prevent the copious amounts of dog hair in my house from getting stuck to it! This brings us up to date and whilst the silicone is curing, I'll be clearing up the bomb site that is now my living room as it's covered in bits of expanding foam, chopped up correx and cardboard!
Here it is at the moment, awaiting the addition of roots and detailing. The base and lower third (roughly) will be covered by substrate and rockwork.
20230523_174043.jpg

I haven't updated this as I've been trying to find the right time of day to take a photo of the tank, but it seems there isn't one. Therefore, you'll have to excuse the reflections!
20230608_183610.jpg

I can't say I'm happy with the rockwork on the far left, but it's all I had, so yeah, improvements to be made there! I'm also not keen on the accidental 50/50 split of hardscape and plants, but it's too much of a hassle to change! The vallis has taken off like something that goes really fast, almost negating the need for the ceratopteris for fry survival now. When I broke the other tank down, I found quite a few fry there and the adults don't seem to predate them once they've hit a certain size, even though they would easily fit in their mouths. I've still got the internal filter from the previous tank running in there whilst the HMF populates with the good stuff, but I think it can come out soon. You can just make out the entrance to the back of the tank, behind a rock, which gives more swimming space than there appears to be.
Above the waterline there is also growth, even though it's not visible unless you take the lid off!
20230608_183652.jpg

The hydrocotyle is hardly correct for the biotope, but plants available to use from the correct biotope are few and far between.

Closest data sheet I can find

I was interested to see if it was the same as the 3x dearer pond stuff.
Once cured it's completely inert, the propellants should be off-gassed after a few days. Plus it's completely encased in silicone anyway. The difference between that and the pond stuff is mostly the colour and the stability of said colour under UV light (sun). It's intended to be used "as is" and not needing disguising.

Back