• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

oto fry

Thats awesome! I wish them all good health and a lot of luck surviving! :D

Can you give us an update on this? Have you added some liquid fry food for them?

i can only see a couple now.i'm hoping theres more in there still though.
will have to wait and see.

Rik.will they eat liquid fry food ?.i've read its just egg.

flygja said:
Aren't otos vegetarian?
thats what i was thinking.but i've now been told,by someone i regard highly,that oto fry need protiens.
so looks like Rik was right.oh boy i hate saying that :rolleyes: :lol: .

Hi all,
I've never seen my Otos show any interest in microworms, although they may be ingesting them when they are tangled up in the "aufwuchs". Some vegetables will provide relatively high levels of protein, Sweet Potato is the one that comes to mind. I think small fragments of sweet potato left to soften and develop a fungal & bacterial coating might provide a larval food source. I never saw mine as fry when they bred, the first time I saw a "fry", it was a large juvenile feeding on a slice of cucumber. This is from a successfull breeder of Farlowella cat-fish, but I'd be fairly confident that it would be the same for Otocinclus fry.
twig catfish fry would eat Spirulina Sticks because they quickly turn to a soft mush. However, it may be necessary to start the fry out in water only about 6 inches deep so they will be in closer proximity to the food.
I would use an air stone and a sponge filter connected to a power head which has an adjustable flow rate so they have a current but not to strong. The sponge filter will collect bits of the Spirulina mush on the sponge surface where the fry may do most of their feeding. I would also provide a thin layer of fine silica sand on the bottom, pieces of wood and some broad leaved stemmed plants like Hygrophila or Ludwigia. Bits of Spirulina mush will settle on the leaves and provide the fry with more available feeding surface area.
cheers Darrel

Back