• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Outlet Skimmer or alternative for Nano tank

johnjo

Just setting up my first CO2 system on a 35L tank and was after advice on a good glass skimmer to clear scum off surface once its set up and most articles seem to advise this is necessary. the problem is most seem too bulky for the size of the tank and will look silly.
Are there any alternatives to one of these to clear the surface scum that doesn’t involve more ‘stuff’ residing inside the tank. I currently use a standard glass lily pipe and return.

Well you have those intake skimmers:
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 08.28.57.jpg

or outflow:
Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 08.30.07.jpg

Well you have those intake skimmers:
View attachment 203375

or outflow:
View attachment 203376

Thanks Hanuman. Yes these were what I was looking at, maybe a mini version as its only a small tank.

Which work the best in your opinion, inflow or outflow?

Do these skimmers rise and fall with your water level as it evaporates or are you left sucking just air once the water level lowers a bit through evaporation?

Thanks Hanuman. Yes these were what I was looking at, maybe a mini version as its only a small tank.

Which work the best in your opinion, inflow or outflow?

Do these skimmers rise and fall with your water level as it evaporates or are you left sucking just air once the water level lowers a bit through evaporation?
Pros and cons to both.

The standard inlet skimmers are usually quite big but on the plus side they suck the surface film directly into the filter.

The aquario outflow skimmer is fairly small in comparison ( I use the larger 17mm version) but it mixes the surface film into the water to be removed by the filter.

Both have a bit of leeway on the water level and will rise and fall, but it's not a big margin for error before it starts sucking in air. (for the aquario at least)

Thanks Nick. I noticed the aquario was plastic and there's something about the clarity of glass I really like so after a mooch around I think i have found a glass alternative, 'FZONE 13mm Aquairum Mini Glass Skimmer for Mini and Nano Tank Filter' so gonna give this a try!

I’ve tried skimmers and haven’t found they work particularly well. Someone on here suggested using an Airstone instead so that’s what I’m using. The air pump is on the same timer as the lighting.

My beef with airstones in a CO2 injected tank is that they severely outgas CO2 due to high surface agitation. This means you need to pump more CO2 to reach whatever target you had in mind. Technically this is what you want to promote better gas exchange and allow CO2 to reach its peak level faster but it has a drawback. If you aren't checking your PH drop/CO2 concentration you can very well be depleting the water of CO2 rather than adding CO2 in it. A more gentle water agitation enables more control IMO.
I also find a column of bubbles rising to the surface quite unsightly in a scaped planted tank, but that's just me.

Each to their own I suppose but I like seeing a stream of fine bubbles rising to the surface and it’s less unsightly to my mind than a skimmer. I also have rampant growth in both of my tanks without CO2 injection.

Back