• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oxygen levels required

I have a 300 litre low tech that filter get's cleaned monthly(2)eheim 2217's ,and low fish load.(working on increasing the number's)
I change 50% of the water each week, and add back a little nutrient's macro's/micro's.1/3 EI level's.
It could go longer between filter cleaning and water changes but old habit's are hard to break.
I also have a 200 litre low tech,heavily planted tank, which hold's three adult bristlenose and don't know how many babies,One adult Royal pleco,One Farlowella,cherry shrimp in the hundred's,eight panda cory's.
I change 50% of the water each week, or twice a week, and filter get's cleaned every two week's.Rena XP3 and Aquaclear 802 powerhead with quick filter attachment
The second tank get's more food and generates more waste but my maint provides the best water quality for both I feel,so it is the maint I stick with.
Plant's and fishes doing well enough.

So I have some of what I believe to be dwarf sag that has a bit of hair algae on it from before a started the co2 up again but it has turned pink as if I'd had spot treated with glut, which I haven't. So there can only be two possibilities. Chlorine from the 95% water change I did even though I put more than enough dechlorinator in according to the instructions or too much ammonia? I think it's the chloramines which also makes me wonder whether or not this has had a play in my fish deaths as well?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Chlorine from the 95% water change I did even though I put more than enough dechlorinator in according to the instructions or too much ammonia? I think it's the chloramines which also makes me wonder whether or not this has had a play in my fish deaths as well? Any thoughts?
I would definitely stop doing large volume water changes with tap water, I think chloramines are a distinct possibility.

Have you got an alternative water supply? I use rain-water, but I appreciate it isn't an option for every-one. Otherwise I would go to a smaller water change (no more than 20%) more frequently.

cheers Darrel

Cheers Darrel. I did several large water changes because I was clearing the tank of my soil substrate.

I heard you have to dose more dechlorinator to when the tap contains chloramines. Is there any truth behind this?. Doing large water changes on my co2 injected system because of EI dosing never caused the water to go cloudy but I have seen this happen in the past after a water change and put it down to my dechlorinator at the time.

I wonder, what are the exact effects on fish via chloramines.

Edit: I have had the most success ever whilst doing 50% water changes on my high tech system. I don't have an alternate water source at present but will look in to rain water via a water but. I will also look in to smaller water changes but am reluctant because of EI.

Last edited:
My source water is the tap with chloramine treated water.
I have used PRIME for year's and only increase the dose maybe twice a year when local treatment plant increases the chloramine.

Back