• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Persistent diffuser issues.

The bubble counter I have even has a built in one but obviously not working.. I have tried 3 bubble counters, 3 different check valves, replaced the needle valve and block, swapped from inline to intank diffusers and used gas thread lock on the majority of connections. It looks to me like it's the bubble counter that is attached to my reg is allowing a small amount of water through when the co2 is off.. but co2art are certain it's the plunger thing causing it.
2 months I've been trying to fix it and my tanks suffering due to the inconsistent co2.

They are cleaned in bleach, and most of them are brand new.

The ones that work consistently are the white ceramic type.

It might not make any difference, but have you tried soaking in a citric acid solution? It could be calcium carbonate blocking up the pores, which may be exasperated by letting them dry, and the bleach won't remove.

The bubble counter I have even has a built in one but obviously not working.. I have tried 3 bubble counters, 3 different check valves, replaced the needle valve and block, swapped from inline to intank diffusers and used gas thread lock on the majority of connections. It looks to me like it's the bubble counter that is attached to my reg is allowing a small amount of water through when the co2 is off.. but co2art are certain it's the plunger thing causing it.
2 months I've been trying to fix it and my tanks suffering due to the inconsistent co2.
Inside those bubble counters is just a spring and a rubber diaphragm....allowing Co2 through as you turn/increase the needle valve!
I would take it apart....and look to see if its fitted properly!

Inside those bubble counters is just a spring and a rubber diaphragm....allowing Co2 through as you increase the needle valve!
I would take it apart....and look to see if its fitted properly!
I have with all 3 and the spring and diaphragms all look fine, Im just baffled as I've swapped all the kit and the problem continues.. hence why I'm convinced its the regulator itself.
Appreciate the help GH 🙂

You can use soapy water first to see if you have leaks. You can also start by trimming each end of the tubing first see how that goes.

There is definitely a leak (kind of) when the tubing meets the diffuser, this is with new tubing as well, but I don't think it's a leak as such, just so much pressure builds up in the diffuser and has nowhere to go.

I'll get a video later

Just a quick question with me having to send off my reg.. would you recommend to cut lighting to 50% and same with ferts schedule?
I run full E.I and a twinstar s with a fluval 3.0.
Thanks!

There is definitely a leak (kind of) when the tubing meets the diffuser, this is with new tubing as well, but I don't think it's a leak as such, just so much pressure builds up in the diffuser and has nowhere to go.
Hi, thats what I would call a leak!
You need 2-4bar pressure to push the gas through the diffuser so leaking through the joint would prevent the pressure build up.
Try pushing the tube further on while its fresh out of boiling water then twist a loop of copper wire like a tourniquet to give extra purchase to the diffuser.
When I had a leak I couldn't find with soapy water I found 2 by using a piece of airline in one ear and using like a stethoscope. One was a pinprick in the co2 tubing and the other was from the botton of the solenoid block where the screws are, lubed the seal and tightened up worked ok ever since.
Cheers
John

Hi, thats what I would call a leak!
You need 2-4bar pressure to push the gas through the diffuser so leaking through the joint would prevent the pressure build up.
Try pushing the tube further on while its fresh out of boiling water then twist a loop of copper wire like a tourniquet to give extra purchase to the diffuser.
When I had a leak I couldn't find with soapy water I found 2 by using a piece of airline in one ear and using like a stethoscope. One was a pinprick in the co2 tubing and the other was from the botton of the solenoid block where the screws are, lubed the seal and tightened up worked ok ever since.
Cheers
John

Yeah, it's a leak lol, what I meant is that I believe it is only caused by too much pressure having nowhere to go and the joint is the weakest part so it leaks there eventually.
The tubing is on very tight, it takes some force to get it back off again, I actually snapped a diffuser recently pulling it off.

Back