• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pest snails

Kezzab

Hi all, my high tech nano is over run with pest snails. There's no fish so they are just living off tank biofilm etc.

This seems unlikely, but is there any evidence that this detrimental to plant growth?

I'm just trying to think through the reasons I'm not getting the growth i expected.

Light, co2 etc are more obvious cuplrits.

K

Not that I know of...
If the pest snails have become a problem, use eSHa Gastropex, if you don't have any fish or other critters double dose; pretty much guaranteed to get rid of them.

Hi all, my high tech nano is over run with pest snails. There's no fish so they are just living off tank biofilm etc.

This seems unlikely, but is there any evidence that this detrimental to plant growth?

I'm just trying to think through the reasons I'm not getting the growth i expected.

Light, co2 etc are more obvious cuplrits.

K

A neat trick I used to use was placing a cucumber slice in the tank over night. When I awoke the following morning it would be covered in snails.
ultimately, If you know someone with a puffer fish you could collect them as tasty treats for them. this method will not rid you 100% of snails as eggs would remain untouched
however, if definitely helps control the visible population

If you want a permanent solution you can also try assassin snails. Personally I like to keep some snails in the aquarium since they help clean up algae and dead plant matter. They shouldn't go after healthy plants.

Try just trapping some to keep the population under control. Get a small plastic bottle, about one third of the bottle length from the lid cut the bottle in two then invert the end with the lid on and push that into the body of the bottle. Before dark place a wafer or similar inside and push on the bottom of the tank. In the morning they'll be loads in there and you can repeat at often as you need to

Screenshot_20200119-151756_Samsung Internet.jpg

If you have too many snails it is usually down to too much food for them, could be algae, melting plants etc.

if snails are super small and shell soft they’ve just been born so not too much of an issue as they’ll have very little food if tank is clean.

fish as many out and squish what you can. Take a zero tolerance to them, increase maintenance, in a nano tank tank, big water change followed by another is good. You can clear them up in a couple of weeks.

this is my favourite tool. Becomes a bit of a sport!

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/dennerle-snail-catcher-2381-p.asp

I got rid of pest snails in the past using assassin snails. They do a good job of pest control.

Back