• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PFK Olé - My first Journal

It loves co2 so if you upgrading your co2 setup you should be OK with it

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

It loves co2 so if you upgrading your co2 setup you should be OK with it

Thanks again, looks good in your setup ... Must get the upgrade sorted and soon ... Still finding it tricky with the tiny fluval co2 rig currently deployed!

In my nano I just let it run about 1 bubble every 2 secs 24/7 drop checker is not too green all the time and I get good pearling all over about an hour after lights on not sure how long its been running but I still have pressure in the green from a 95g bottle

Day 17 (04/03) and not much to report other than somehow managed to rocket through a full cyclinder of co2 in around 3 days against the previous one lasting almost 2 weeks? Must get a proper set up ordered! TDS and PH still fluctuating , with the brown algae appearing to stabilise a bit ... Hoping it will be on the wane now. I hope a 'proper' co2 setup will stabilise things a bit. Hoping to do a half hourly check on PH etc this Saturday through the photoperiod - quite interested to see what's what there. Not ordered a replacement plant after the Eleocharis sp melted yet ... But did note a bit of mulm/plant/stuff (getting technical again!!) in the water column after the water change last night ... I deliberately poured the new water quite hard into corners and plants to see if there was any build up and there was, thankfully plants seem well rooted now and nothing floated! :)
Cheers, bob

Day 24 (11/03) and sorry for the lack of updates. Again not much happening bar a shedload more brown algae on almost all surfaces :( anyone any suggestions please? blackout?

On the upside, however ...

13083193405_894a8b8136_c_d.jpg

few daft questions again though, hope you don't mind?

1. Is the solenoid on or off when plugged in and the wall socket is switched on?

2. does anyone have a blow by blow (no pun intended) account of how to set this up and what should happen when the cylinder is screwed in ... I have all three needle valves set to closed and have made sure every bolt etc is very tight. i hope it will be a simple 'puff' rather than a fully discharged canister when i connect it up (and will try and not blow the water out of the tank this time!)

thanks once again guys :)

When power is running the solenoid is open.

I'm now 100% about putting the bottle on as mine have taps on them.... You should see pressure reading on the gauge. Does the adapter have a tap?

If it does just empty get it out of your hands quick! Its bloody cold! I had a dodgy 95g can the other day burn my hand pretty bad

When power is running the solenoid is open.

I'm now 100% about putting the bottle on as mine have taps on them.... You should see pressure reading on the gauge. Does the adapter have a tap?

Thanks Ali, thought that would be the case and will connect it to the same timer my light runs off of. The adaptor is a simple big nut that screws into the regulator and then would screw onto the cylinder ... it has no tap, but the regulator / solenoid has a needle valve to open and close as does the two way splitter (hoping to run two tanks off of the same bottle and with the two needle valves on the splitter being controllable separately) hope that makes sense? :confused:

If it does just empty get it out of your hands quick! Its bloody cold! I had a dodgy 95g can the other day burn my hand pretty bad

ouch ... think i will wear gloves the first time and do it outside as the cylinders are 425gram which is a tad more than the 20gram nano ones i have used of late! :eek:

Day 26 (13/03) and resorting to desperate measures re the diatoms!
I have dropped the light to 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the afternoon to try and curb the brown algae invasion! I have switched the co2 off as well and will try it for a couple of days. I note the algae is only on surfaces that get light so maybe a drastic reduction in light will halt the spread?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
I read up on the diatoms and may have got it wrong previously? Seemingly it's ammonia and silicates that cause it (per 'the planted tank' algae page) and there would be an ammonia spike as I mature the tank and also the melting Eleocharis sp would have added to the load? Will keep up the water changes and see what happens, but hoped the tank would be almost cycled by now? Not a fan of test kits, but will take a sample to the LFS to see if there is an ammonia reading?
Additionally, I carried out the suggested half hourly readings during the photo period at the weekend and there was not much of a change (or as much as I maybe expected):
I did x2 two litre water changes then ...
13:00 PH 7.2, TDS 130 no light, co2 on
13:30 PH 7.1, TDS 132, light & co2 on
14:00 PH 7.0, TDS 134
14:30 PH 7.0, TDS 135
15:00 PH 6.9, TDS 137
15:30 PH 6.9, TDS 145
16:00 PH 7.0, TDS 150
16:30 PH 7.0, TDS 151
17:00 PH 7.1, TDS 153
17:30 PH 7.1, TDS 153
18:00 PH 7.2, TDS 155
18:30 missed
19:00 PH 7.3, TDS 156
Anyone any thoughts on those results? More over, is that stable enough for some Sakura shrimp as needing a cleanup crew ... Do cherries eat the brown stuff? :)
Cheers, bob

OK yeah guess I skipped the no lights bit.. Cherries should eat it up :)

OK yeah guess I skipped the no lights bit.. Cherries should eat it up :)

Hmm ... Might 'borrow' a few from my daughters tank and see if they get on ok! Seriously though, their welfare comes first and not sure tank is mature enough yet?

Back