• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

PH 7.6 to 6.4 ?

John44

Hi

I tested my water today about 2 hours before the CO2 started and got a reading of 7.6 - 3 hours into the CO2 \ Light cycle I tested again and got 6.4

I appreciate its quite a general question but does that seem right ?

Regards
John B

I am not a pro, but it looks like you are getting to much co2 in your tank. What colour is your drop checker? In my tank I have 6.9 ph when co2 is off and 6.4 - 6.5 ph when co2 running and I have about 35 ppm co2 @4kh. Test your kh and ph when co2 is running and youll see if it is OK or not...

Yep perfectly normal, sounds like you are wasting some gas though, you are really looking for a single point drop by lights on (6.6).

Then aiming to hold that level until lights out

Hi all,
tested my water today about 2 hours before the CO2 started and got a reading of 7.6 - 3 hours into the CO2 \ Light cycle I tested again and got 6.4
You can't really tell from the tank water, as you don't know the exact carbonate hardness (dKH).

The problem is that pH isn't a very useful measurement without some measure of water hardness.

Do you have a drop checker?

cheers Darrel

Hi

Drop Checker should be here today, I can test PH and GH and so kit for KH will also be here today. I will test prior to Co2 and lights and again once Co2 and lights have been on. Will post the results

John B

Someone should make this chart a sticky:
co2_ph_kH_chart.png

You want to be somewhere in the grey area when CO2 is on.

Well my JBL CO2 Drop Checker has arrived and its installed - so now I wait and see what colour it changes to - the CO2 has been on for 3 hours and I have a pH of 6.6 - I can see some pearling on the plants so I think thats good

John B

Back