• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ph 8.2

there are no stupid questions, just stupid answers and I'm sure they will come...LOL

Hey was wondering if you may possibly be able to ID this type of algae I'm now starting to suffer with and suggest ways of tackling it
f7f0f3e2f69e53786a97a53af13cf0d0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBA or BHA ...best cut of those effected leaves asap and look for possible causes (my guess is CO2 related such as; to much light, not enough flow or curent and ofcourse not enough or good injected CO2) ...spot treat any effected hard scape with excel.
You can try to spot treat the effected leaves with excel first, but very often plant do not like that and you will end up with the leave (or even the plant) dying anyway.

Last edited:
BBA or BHA ...best cut of those effected leaves asap and look for possible causes (my guess is CO2 related such as; to much light, not enough flow or curent and ofcourse not enough or good injected CO2) ...spot treat any effected hard scape with excel.

Thank you for your response, are t5s considered high light? And I'm only adding liquid carbon at the minute so would you suggest purchasing a CO2 system

I think I've said it before, T5's are powerful lights, but if you only have 1 T5 tube 40cm above your tank of 400 liter it wouldn't be enough....here is a graphic which come in handy for this....
PARreading_zps8b784252.jpg

Yes you did sorry, well I have a juwel Rio 125 which comes with two t5's which are a couple of inches at most above the water line. My lights are on for 7 hours, maybe I should drop that down to five or six like you previously suggested

Wow...2x T5 is really alot...cutting back hours will only help so much, you would do better in not just cutting down on hours but also on T5.
Use one for 2.5 - 3 hours and the other one the same without overlapping them.

I've got 1x T5 above my 300 liter tank hanging about 25cm (10 Inch) above the tank and only on for 7 hours with injecting CO2....just to give you an idea.

Last edited:
Hi Tom,
when using flourish excel or any other carbon source you need to dose daily. You mentioned a few times that you dose the excel every other day, but this does not work, it needs to be daily to provide the plants with carbon whilst the lights are on. This combined with reducing your lighting intensity should improve any algae outbreaks and the health of your plants.
Cheerio
Ady

Hi Tom,
when using flourish excel or any other carbon source you need to dose daily. You mentioned a few times that you dose the excel every other day, but this does not work, it needs to be daily to provide the plants with carbon whilst the lights are on. This combined with reducing your lighting intensity should improve any algae outbreaks and the health of your plants.
Cheerio
Ady
I started dosing daily about a month ago and since then that's when I started to get problems with this type of beard/hair algae. Not sure if it's just a coincidence or whether that's played a part im guessing not as carbon can act as an algicide if I'm not mistaken. I've dropped my lighting down to six hours removed all affected leaves and I'll see how I get on cheers for everyone's help

Back