• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

PH checker

DaveWatkin

This might be a really stupid question...

I recently bought a Hanna PH checker and I am aiming to get a PH profile over the next couple of days .

Is it ok to keep the probe emersed for this time? If removed and place in storage solution it then takes a good few minutes to stabilise a reading when used again. Would rather leave it in the tank and just switch on each hour to grab an instant reading.

I don't see any issue for a short term use like this but thought I would check with those of experience :)

Checker is this type: HI-98100 Checker Plus pH Tester

DaveWatkin

Oh, have removed now. I assumed a short period would be fine.

Are the PH probes used on PH controlled CO2 systems a different type? Keep meaning to look into those but never got round to it yet.

GHNelson

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Hi Dave
Those pH Controller probes are designed to be used for a specific period of time then cleaned and re-calibrated.
I'm not sure if the membrane material is any different from generic pH probes....maybe someone with inside knowledge will let us know;)

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team

Davey

Hi Dave

Im my experience alot of pH probes require regular calibration, when I mean regular, I mean just before making a measurement. Sometimes this consists of creating a calibration solution using a tablet and a very specific volume of water. It really depends on the probe though.
We rinse/wash ours with distilled water.

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
Im my experience alot of pH probes require regular calibration, when I mean regular, I mean just before making a measurement.
They need calibration before every use, they also need to be turned on for a couple of minutes before you take the the reading.
Sometimes this consists of creating a calibration solution using a tablet and a very specific volume of water.
Yes, assuming it is a meter with <"two point calibration"> you need pH7 and pH10 and/or pH4 buffers.

<"You can reuse the buffers"> several times, they aren't like conductivity standard solutions, they are <"buffered" against pH change">.

I make up the <"conductivity standards"> for the lab, but we buy in the pH buffer reference solutions, they are time consuming to make, and the bought ones are <"nicely colour coded for student use">.

cheers Darrel

Davey

Hi Darrel,

Thanks for your message! Great links! I'll be reading up! Can you point me to more chemistry links within the hobby; solid articles/threads on buffering or kH within the aquarium?

Cheers
Dav

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
Can you point me to more chemistry links within the hobby; solid articles/threads on buffering or kH within the aquarium?
I think generally there is a <"shortage of properly referenced articles within the hobby">. In the case of the measurement of hardness your best bet is probably still <"the Krib article by Larry Frank">.

UKAPS has a few threads linked into articles <"about nitrification">, about the <"phytoremediation of waste water"> and how it relates to the <"Duckweed Index"> etc. We have some more <"about water testing"> and <"analytical equipment">. There are plenty more, many of them not within <"my area of knowledge">.

We also have some articles, covering topics like the <"Soil substrate or dirted tank">, <"A brief and incomplete history of aquascaping"> (both by @Tim Harrison ) and <"CO2 measurement using a drop checker">.

cheers Darrel