• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ph profile with pressurized co2

Puntius

So im getting a nice 1 unit drop by lights on later during the lighting phase it drops to around 6.6 - 6.7 I added my profile..below 99% of fish fine only my neon dwarf rainbows at the surface sometimes around 20h30 but not always. All fish active though.. Is this fine it dropping more during the co2 phase.. My kh is 4 just for info. Co2 comes on at 12h00 and lights in by 14h00.

My profile over the weekend

Friday
Inside tank 18h40 = 6.5 ph
Inside tank 18:40 = 6.8 ph
Inside tank 20h52 = 6.7 ph

Saturday.
Complete ph profile

Inside tank 07h25 = 8.2 ph
Inside tank 11h30 = 8.1 ph
Inside tank 12h45 = 7.4 ph
Inside tank 13h15 = 7.3 ph
Inside tank 13h30 = 7.2 ph
Inside tank 14h00 = 7.1 ph
Inside tank 15h10 = 6.8 ph
Inside tank 16h05 = 6.8 ph
Inside tank 17h30 = 6.7 ph

Any comments or tips.

My water movement is 24 Times my water volume.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

At low Kh a bigger drop is expected. I would start CO2 a bit earlier to have it a 6.8 at lights on. You can have CO2 off 4 hours after light on.
My water movement is 24 Times my water volume.
Sounds good, just volume doesn't neccesarily mean good distribution:(

At low Kh a bigger drop is expected. I would start CO2 a bit earlier to have it a 6.8 at lights on. You can have CO2 off 4 hours after light on.

Sounds good, just volume doesn't neccesarily mean good distribution:(
Okay cool that does make sense. 100% of plants swaying nicely in the water column... So I'll start my co2, 30 minutes earlier as I noticed ph drops quite quickly. So it won't drop below 6.8 later during the lighting phase as it will be on longer then usually. So do you also shut your co2 of 4 hours after lights on..

Any other input on this.

I get a extra 0.1 to 0.2 pH over the photo period also. Getting a 'table top' profile is tricky.
I've never felt comfortable having the CO2 going off after 4hrs. I'm sure Clive will be correcting me when he sees this post.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

I get a extra 0.1 to 0.2 pH over the photo period also. Getting a 'table top' profile is tricky.
I've never felt comfortable having the CO2 going off after 4hrs. I'm sure Clive will be correcting me when he sees this post.

Cool so it is normal to get extra ph drops over the photo period. I'll also rather leave my co2 on longer. I might put co2 on 30 minutes earlier to get an extra 0.2 or 0.3 by lights on currently with lower kh.

I am sure Edvet is right about after 4hrs as it fits with what the 'High Priest' advocates.
But being a newbie and trying to get algea under control I rather have the [CO2] stable for the whole photoperiod ATM. If my tanks was algea free or with more experience I'm sure I would have the confidence to have the CO2 going off sooner.

So why do the plants still pearl? As if they have had their fill, then photosynthesis would stop and then no O2 as by product. Or is it case of the plants are just slowly consuming CO2 and a little O2 is produced.
Does the 4hrs still apply with less light in a CO2 tank? Say your tank is established you get a new plant and add it to your tank, you keep the same [CO2] but reduce the intensity so the new plant can adjust its mechanisms to the higher [CO2] after a few weeks you slowly increase the light intensity back to pre new plants levels.
But during the lower light aclimitasation period for the new plant, the established plants will receive less photons in four hours! So if we do reduce our lights intensity for what ever reason, should we extend our CO2 injection period longer than the first 4hrs of the photoperiod as the plants have yet to get their fill?

Very good question @Zeus im not bothered waiting co2 but yes if they only need co2 for lets say a total of 6 hours since co2 on why do all the threads say co2 must go of an hour before lights...

Yes in a plant recieving high light its full after four hours. But if you reduce the intensity it won't be full after 4hrs as it's storage capacity has yet to be reached, as less photons means less complex carbohydrates production. So if your [CO2] falls after 4hrs and the plant hasn't had its fill due to reduced light intensity. The the plant may start adjusting to the lower [CO2] which is bad OFC for the reasons Clive explained!

Not questioning the explanation OFC just after a better personal understanding ;)

So if are plants in a high light stable [CO2] have had their fill after four hours, if we can would it not be better to reduce the lights intensity. As if the plants are not using the photons of light, there will be more photons avialible for the algea to feed on!

Also talking about lights, Clive informed me while back not the have all my lights on initially when lights go on. So my 1 x 10000k tube goes on 2 hours after co2 on. Then my 2 x 18w leds 6500k goes on at 15h30 and then my last 18w led goes on at 16h00. To give a nice ramp up for the lighting phase. So I would think having co2 on for 4 to 5 hours after all the lights are on should be sufficient then. So that would mean my co2 goes off at around 20h00 or 20h30 then @ceg4048

My thoughts as well. Having higher light with decreasing [CO2] may be counter productive to plant grow if photosynthesis is limited by the avialible CO2. But if photosynthesis isn't limited by the avialible CO2 it shouldn't be an issue. After all when my lights go off my airstone comes on and it does take some time for the PH to increase. Even 12hrs later the pH is still climbing very slowly. Just my observations.

Exactly my airstone comes on at 21h30, about 40 minutes before lights off and by around 07h30 my tank co2 is degassed and ph 8.1 again... My co2 does go off at 21h00 used to go off at 21h15 so having it on for that extra 30 minutes is not gonna really waste co2. Still waiting for @ceg4048 for his final confirmation or @Edvet

Why do most threads then say co2 must go off an hour before lights go off at night.
For the plants you could leave it on. For the fish: at night the plants themselves produce CO2, that added to high values through CO2 dispension might result inl evels to high for fish. Hence using an airstone to diminish the CO2 in the column during lights out.

For the plants you could leave it on. For the fish: at night the plants themselves produce CO2, that added to high values through CO2 dispension might result inl evels to high for fish. Hence using an airstone to diminish the CO2 in the column during lights out.
I understand that, just asking why you saying co2 can go off after 4 hours since light on... So you still think I can start co2 30 minutes earlier

Also talking about lights, Clive informed me while back not the have all my lights on initially when lights go on. So my 1 x 10000k tube goes on 2 hours after co2 on. Then my 2 x 18w leds 6500k goes on at 15h30 and then my last 18w led goes on at 16h00. To give a nice ramp up for the lighting phase. So I would think having co2 on for 4 to 5 hours after all the lights are on should be sufficient then. So that would mean my co2 goes off at around 20h00 or 20h30 then @ceg4048

Too all the experts out there any comments on this

Back