• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Photographic Opportunism.

Dave Spencer

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
Over the past two months I have been at work, with precious little time for aquascaping and photography. There was little I could do about the aquascaping, and a CO2 blunder left me without a tank for the IAPLC.

However, I decided to make the most of a bad situation and decided to start carrying my camera with me to work. No matter what the situation we are in, there is always a photograph out there. I have missed so many shots that I have decided that my camera is coming with me practically wherever I go.

The following are shots I have taken of Shotton Paper Mill, a site that neighbours my power station, and to whom we supply steam and power. The first two are sunrises, which I only ever see when I am on nightshift, so I would never have got them had I not been at work, which is a little ironic, I guess.

I hope you like them.

Mill-at-Sunrise.jpg


Paper-Mill.jpg


SunsetMill.jpg


Dave.
 

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Joined
11 Jul 2007
Messages
9,236
Location
Chicago, USA
Good idea Dave, I completely agree! I'm always regretting missed opportunities because I didn't have the camera with me at the time. Shame about your CO2 mishap mate. :arghh:
I especially like shot number 2, lots of drama there.

Cheers,
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Thread starter
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
Cheers Clive.

Isn`t it about time we saw another tank from you, mate?

Dave.
 

rawr

Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
598
Location
Enfield
Dave Spencer said:
Cheers Clive.

Isn`t it about time we saw another tank from you, mate?

Dave.
I agree! Even if you just post some photos of past tanks, I dont' recall seeing any before but probably have at some point...

Those are great photos, I love the last one.
 

CeeBee

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
170
They are really stunning photographs. For me, the third is superb.
 

ceg4048

Expert/Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Joined
11 Jul 2007
Messages
9,236
Location
Chicago, USA
Dave Spencer said:
Cheers Clive.

Isn`t it about time we saw another tank from you, mate?

Dave.
Mate I've been living in a hotel for the past 5 months. I've only just escaped last week. Can't even think about next tank until I figure out which box has my underwear... :(

rawr said:
I agree! Even if you just post some photos of past tanks, I dont' recall seeing any before but probably have at some point...
Yeah, I'm not really a journal kind of guy. You can catch glimpses in past threads such as Limnophila aromatica - The Rice Paddy Herb and The Illusion of Color as well as in the EI tutorial.

Cheers,
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Thread starter
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
Cheers Tony and Caroline. The third one is my favourite too. :D

I was outside (should have been working) taking the pics and watching the light get more and more dramatic. Once the Sun was below the mill building things died off a bit.

Dave.

EDIT: Cheers Thomas
 

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,077
Location
Cambridgeshire
I really like them all, Dave. Great work. :D

No.1 is my favourite. The haze looks great and the grass in the foreground adds nice interest. DoF control is great too, as keeping the grass sharp would have left the image too flat. Composition is spot on too with nice horizon and sun position. The smoke bellowing from the power station enhances the peaceful nature of the scene, as it shows there's little/no wind.

What I like about all three shots is the juxtaposition of a peacful overall scene with the enormous power created inside the building, indeed, used to power the very thing that you've captured the images with i.e. charging your camera batteries...

The colours in no.2 are incredibly dramatic, almost surreal. The horizon looks a little wonky to me, but it's probably not.

Lovin' the lens flare in no.3 but the pylons are too distracting for my taste. It's either the building or pylons for me, although I understand the reason for including them both, I think.

Well done mate.
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Thread starter
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
George Farmer said:
Lovin' the lens flare in no.3 but the pylons are too distracting for my taste. It's either the building or pylons for me, although I understand the reason for including them both, I think.

Thanks for an excellent critique George.

I have some shots that are just the towers and some that are of just the paper mill. The tower shots were OK, but the emissions from the stack interfered with the sky, and the shots of the paper mill in isolation had the power lines running across them, which would have taken some serious Photoshopping.

I know what you mean though, as I tried each on their own. I`m glad pics 1 and 2 are getting a mention though, as I thought 3 was by far the best pic.

Dave.
 

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Joined
30 Jun 2007
Messages
7,077
Location
Cambridgeshire
Dave Spencer said:
George Farmer said:
Lovin' the lens flare in no.3 but the pylons are too distracting for my taste. It's either the building or pylons for me, although I understand the reason for including them both, I think.

Thanks for an excellent critique George.

I have some shots that are just the towers and some that are of just the paper mill. The tower shots were OK, but the emissions from the stack interfered with the sky, and the shots of the paper mill in isolation had the power lines running across them, which would have taken some serious Photoshopping.

I know what you mean though, as I tried each on their own. I`m glad pics 1 and 2 are getting a mention though, as I thought 3 was by far the best pic.

Dave.
You're welcome mate. Credit's due...

I hope you don't mind but 5 mins in CS3 -

SunsetMilledit.jpg
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Thread starter
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
Cheers George. Even 5 mins on CS3 is a lot for me if I`m not converting to B+W. :oops:

Aaron, the first pic is on a misty, dewy morning. Maybe your monitor needs calibrating. :lol:

Dave.
 

aaronnorth

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
3,941
Location
worksop, nottinghamshire
Dave Spencer said:
Cheers George. Even 5 mins on CS3 is a lot for me if I`m not converting to B+W. :oops:

Aaron, the first pic is on a misty, dewy morning. Maybe your monitor needs calibrating. :lol:

Dave.

you know, it probably does :rolleyes: I have had it over a year and you are supposed to do it every month or so aren't you :oops: lol
 

Dave Spencer

Member
Thread starter
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
1,387
Location
N. Wales
ceg4048 said:
.....can't even think about next tank until I figure out which box has my underwear... :(

Clive, you are a clever bloke. I assume you are aware that if you turn your underwear inside out you can get another month`s worth of wear from them. 8)

George, I take it you are a real whizz with the clone stamp and healing tools?

Aaron, if you want to get in to photography, and especially if you want to print off your work, definitely get your monitor calibrated.

Dave.
 

CeeBee

Member
Joined
15 Feb 2009
Messages
170
George Farmer said:
You're welcome mate. Credit's due...

I hope you don't mind but 5 mins in CS3 -

SunsetMilledit.jpg

Bring back the pylons! I loved the way the light caught on the glass disks - the lines made my eye travel around the photo too. :D
 
Top