• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Physa acute

Carpman

I found 1 in the tank aka acute pond snail. Do I keep it or get rid currently sitting in a glass on my desk?

Up to you. If your tank is healthy with frequent maintenance and not overfeeding the fish, they are great at eating diatoms plus general organic waste and wont multiply much.

If you overfeed or let a lot of organic waste accumulate then they can multiply very fast, which isn't a bad thing, but some people just don't like having loads of snails in their tanks.

I'd give it a home. I'd rather have snails than dead plant leaves/fish poo/uneaten fish food in my tanks, if you don't have much of these things they will just eat algae. They have tiny weak mouths and I've never seen them harm a healthy (not starting to decay) plant.

If your water is soft and also acidic due to the addition of CO2, it's shell will gradually melt and weaken over time so it probably wont be able to multiply anyway.

Not sure why you got rid of one, but they are hermaphrodite so if you got rid of it to stop them breeding...

....look forward to more snails soon :woot:.

Back