• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Pico Trio

fluffiebugie

Seedling
Hi,

Wasn't sure where to put this. I guess here is okay?

While I'm starting up an old tank I wanted to explore another idea I had a while ago.

I always end up with odds and ends of plants, rocks, substrate etc, and I love some of the fantastic Pico tanks I've seen.
So, as I'm limited on space too, I've decided to set up a Pico collection.

At the moment, I'm looking at using three large square vases, approx 15cm and creating miniature scapes using some of the smallest plants I currently have on the way for my main tank.

As I've never tried doing this before I'm not sure of the filtration or lighting requirements. I'm guessing there aren't many? I was going to go with a basic regular water change with added ferts once a week, but the lighting has me stumped.

Would three LED lamps do the trick? And how do I know which would be suitable? Trying to find one "out of the box" is quite difficult as most options don't explain the lighting adequately.

If anyone has any ideas or experience I'd love to hear it. Otherwise I'll do my usual trial and error and see what happens. Of course, I'll share progress along the way :D

Hi,

For lighting, try something like this:
http://www.plantedbox.com/shop/index.ph ... cts_id=333

As an example, on my 10L I am using a 9w and an 11w for light (you don't necessarily need that much), 0.3ml Excel and 0.3ml TPN+ daily, and an Azoo 100lph hang on back filter which gives me 10x turnover. I'm not sure about LEDs as I have never used them.

I'd go for that 9w on the link, and just use something like TPN+ and liquid carbon for ferts.

Hope that helps a bit,

Tom

Definitely helps, gonna look for TPN+ as I couldn't recall what it was shortly after I saw it mentioned in another thread as the best all-in-one option. So thanks for that reminder. :)

With the light, I've gone for a cheap as chips LED spot desk lamp from Argos. If I got it right, the LED is in the right range (Argos kindly stated the manufacturer of the bulb so a quick look at their site suggests it's a good option). They can only supply one though so I'll be waiting to complete the three.

I've also gone for round bowls, slightly larger than the square vases. I think they're more suited to the space aesthetically.

It's amazing what you can get done surfing the net on a night shift. :D

fluffiebugie said:
If anyone has any ideas or experience I'd love to hear it.

I have some picos setup.
No light, no filter (I use amazon frogbit instead), no food, no ferts.
Super low tech :D

low levels of shrimps and snails to keep it clean, and they feed off the moss and plant biofilm.
add more frogbit from another tank as it slowly disintegrates over a period of months.
Water changes vary from 90% daily to top up only on critter load.
Very crude, not scaped at all, they are just temp housing for shrimps pulled from my main tank.

6 CRS in this one at the time of the pic... needed WC every other day or it ponged a bit:
main.php

main.php

4 blue pearls in here, have not done a water change for a couple of months now:
main.php

main.php

Simple and straightforward, I like it! :)

For mine I have some really fine black substrate and some Amazonia Aqua Soil left over from my larger tank I'm just restarting. Also gonna smash up some larger Lava rock to see if I can craft something huge in a mini space :D

Anyone have any suggestions on planting?
I have some Star Moss on the way but that's probably going to be the larger plant in these (not having seen it up-close yet I'm guessing it's large for a Pico?)
Also have Java Moss (of course).
I guess I'm seeking the smallest plants out there, so any suggestions would be great.

This is the Vase (or "Fish bowl"). Three on the way.

166-6234739MMA74UC716060M.jpg

And the lamp

61-4328049MMA73UC635157M.jpg

Really looking forward to experimenting!

Attachments

• 61-4328049MMA73UC635157M.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 61-4328049MMA73UC635157M.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 59
smalllest plants I have used......

As you see from the pics I have used mosses as well, and many people on here will tell you I am a bit of a moss nut :oops:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but star moss is not an aquatic moss.
If you have some hardscape poking out of the water you could put it on that though and it will probably do well in the moisture :thumbup:
With most mosses making sure you keep them trimmed is key to them looking their best.

Ickle anubias are good for creating the illusion of something bigger and are easy to grow as well... anubias nana var petite, nana var bonsai, nana var stardust.

I also have bolbitis difformis and that is small and easy to grow IME.

a1Matt said:
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but star moss is not an aquatic moss.

Oh, maybe it's something else I've ordered then :wideyed:

Even if it is Star moss, I'm more than happy to have one bowl half dry. I was actually considering a moss garden a while ago, so I migh make than another project for the future.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll look at those. :)

Back