• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

placing heavy objects in

Rich Jackson

im in the process of starting my new tank and have some fairly heavy bits of hard scape to go in.
would I need to put polystyrene on the base of my tank(on the inside) to protect it ? then cover with substrate. dont want to crack the base!

Hi rich, i wouldnt put poły inside the tank myself. I normally put Some gravel in first then the rocka on top then top up with gravel/sub. Ive allways had 10mm glass tanks so never been to worried just płace them carefully down .:)

Some people on here have used something similar to a yoga mat. Might have been Mike Appleby with his bookcase tank, 259ltr I think, journal.

I glue sheets of rubber(yoga mat etc can be used) to the base of the rock to make a nice stable pad several layers thick, this will not crush like eggcrate or float up later.

If you ever need to move it and adjust anything, which is better?
Anything loose is going to move around, if you pull up plant roots later, do you think the roots will get entangled in the foam or crate? Not an issue in marine systems. But in planted tanks, it can be.
I've have plenty of set ups where I've had to move things later on for many reasons. 25kg can also crush eggcrate unless you are gentle and if the rock has poky points, it'll also cause issues, or if you want certain angles, that cause more tension on the crate.
I'm not saying it does not work, I am saying there are better methods to do this.

the egg crate marin guys use will be fine, just glue at the angle you want or use putty.
if you have an angle grinder or a friend that does use that the get a flat bottom on the rocks then glue them.

Back