• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planaria Treatments

LancsRick

Well I've just noticed tonight that seemingly from nowhere, my Rio has a fair number of planaria knocking around in it. Presumably stow-aways from my most recent plants, or possibly in with frozen food that I feed them, so I'll treat my other tanks just to be sure.

I've been reading on the forums and realise there are a fair few approaches that people seem to take, but just wanted to check if I had missed anything.

Any treatment needs to be suitable for tanks with both fish and shrimp present.

1) Panacur - about £18 delivered, lots of doses to be had from 100ml bottle
2) No Planaria by Genchem - about £10 delivered from sponsors here, not sure how many doses that is
3) Bait with a prawn - partial removal but not an eradication solution
4) Anything else?

At the moment I'm inclined to use the Genchem solution. Don't like the idea of unwanted intruders in the tank!

First of all I think planaria aren't able to survive being frozen. They most often come in with live tubifex or perhaps some plant.

About the planaria. Levamisole works great for planaria in reef tanks (0,8 mg/L and I used 2mg/L against Camallanus for four times in fresh water and that didn't killed any shrimp I'm aware of. So you might consider this (off course at your own risk).

Back