• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planned new setup. Opinions please.

Zante

This is basically what I'm planning:

Acrylic tank 220x70cm base 60cm tall.

Lights are 4x36w LED spotlights on goosenecks. 6500k light temperature (no idea on PAR values).

The flora in the water will be a couple of amazon swords, no more. The exact variety to be determined, probably ozelot.

Substrate will be plain sand, nothing else. The swords will be fed with root tabs.

Along the back wall of the tank I will have a row of small plastic baskets (food grade) filled with clay pellets from which I'll be growing (emersed) a selection of the following plants:

Anthurium
Carludovica
Ctenanthe
Dieffenbachia
Maranta leuconeura
Monstera deliciosa
Nephrolepis exaltata
Spathiphyllum
Peperomia
Philodendron
Polypodium
Rhipsalidopsis gaertneri
Siderasis fuscata
Syngonium
Zamia
Schlumbergera
Calathea

Not all of them, but my research has coughed these as possible candidates. Hopefully my research brought up only amazon plants as that is the theme of the tank. There will be a trellis behind the tank for the creepers, backed by policarbonate to protect the wall from the roots.

There will be wood in the tank, with some of it emersed. On the emersed portions I'm considering bromeliads and orchids.

The fauna of the tank will be discus, sterbai corys, rummynose tetras and L183 bristlenose plecs. Also considering splashing tetras. Might have to house a pair of blue rams which will be out of theme, but we'll see how the other tank develops...

Please break it apart and find any problems or inconsistencies there may be with this setup.

Two of those lights I had on my previous discus tank, two feet deep, in which I had a normal sword, an ozelot sword, blyxa and some hairgrass (that admittedly was growing phenomenally slowly). I just got two more of the same.

In this case the only submerged plants are going to be the two swords.

Are there any recent pictures of this setup?

There are no pictures :rolleyes:

It is still a project for the moment. I have 70Kg of live rock waiting for a reef tank, new windows on the way and other stuff that is getting in the way, and I'm finding myself pushing this project further and further back :(

I will get there eventually

There are no pictures :rolleyes:

It is still a project for the moment. I have 70Kg of live rock waiting for a reef tank, new windows on the way and other stuff that is getting in the way, and I'm finding myself pushing this project further and further back :(

I will get there eventually

Yes it’s an expensive game. I always find the longer the wait, the more you’ll enjoy it and more time to know exactly what you want. Best of luck bud

Back