• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Planning Iwagumi Style Scape

Been aquascaping for a few years now but never been to fussy with plants usually buy a collection from PlantsAlive and see what grows usually get stunning results

29vdyfb.jpg

This year Ive decided to try my hand at a Iwagumi style tank fist decided to move all my live stock to a different tank once I'm setup planning to dose super high CO2 levels and start ferts with tropica tpn+

Ive always had a 10 or 8 hour light period but read places that people have used 6 hours i was planning to try using all 4x 44w t5s on 6hrs instead of just 2 of the 44w t5s on 8 hours with real high co2 levels hoping to carpet hairgrass Ive read keeping it short about 1 cm will encourage it to shout runners can i use same trick with tall hairgrass how much should i cut off ??

Re: Starting Iwagumi Style Scape

Where are you based in Sussex ? I have read of people adding small amounts of fish flake to keep the filter going.

Starting Iwagumi Style Scape

Cut the hairgrass down roughly a centimetre or to. That will encourage better growth and stop algae collecting on the older bits whilst it settles in.
Whats the reason for switching to the jbl stuff from tpn+? If its cost wise, then the ukaps sponsors such as fluid sensor and aquarium plant food sell their own complete all in one which gives great results and works out far cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sussex_cichlids said:

Nice to find someone else local. Im in Eastbourne :) Are there any local clubs that you know of ?

Alastair said:
Whats the reason for switching to the jbl stuff from tpn+? If its cost wise, then the ukaps sponsors such as fluid sensor and aquarium plant food sell their own complete all in one which gives great results and works out far cheaper

No real reason just to use it up i have bit of TPN+ left over from last year didn't get good results with it but think that could be because i kept running out of co2 all the time ive now upgraded too 2x 6kg bottles. and 24hr bottle swap so that wont be happening ever again

Also think of using this to start as it has added phosphate and nitrogen just thought the TPN+ would be better to start with as planning on starting with no live stock

i swear by JBL products usually have had no problems with them and had some amazing results

I'm open to ferts suggestions i was think of going full hog mixing my own but the cost that put me off and sourcing quality materials

You mentioned about UKAPS sponsors a brand of ferts can you send us a link would like to look at that

Antipofish said:
Antipofish said:
sussex_cichlids said:

Nice to find someone else local. Im in Eastbourne :) Are there any local clubs that you know of ?

???

Yea there are a few i was talking to lady at maidenhead aquatics by Brighton racecourse she was telling me of and aquascaping club or planted tank club meaning to pop down again soon and speak to her again

To my mind the big one on the left looks the wrong way round. It looks like its about to topple over which causes an "unnerving feeling" about the scape (even though you probably have that covered, thats the affect it has).

yea see your point got lot more substrate before is compleate

also that stone is called the Oyaishi stone has to be 2/3 the hight of the tank

the gap in the middle will be filled with substrate also got to blend final grediants once it arrives will post final pictures before i plant up your see

sussex_cichlids said:
yea see your point got lot more substrate before is compleate

also that stone is called the Oyaishi stone has to be 2/3 the hight of the tank

the gap in the middle will be filled with substrate also got to blend final grediants once it arrives will post final pictures before i plant up your see

Hi yeah I understand the Iwagumi principles, and I like the height of it, but I just feel its aspect takes the mind off the tank and is worrisome. It could well look a lot different once you have more eco in there though :thumbup:

Back