Plans for tank stand

Discussion in 'Hardware & DIY' started by YzemaN, 3 Feb 2009.

1. YzemaN

YzemaN Member

Hi
    I've decided to build a new tank stand for my 18"x12" tank, as the cheapo one I bought in Argos is starting to sag.
    I made this quick'n'dirty drawing using Google SketchUp:
    18x12Stand.jpg
    I left enough room to fit a door at a later point. Maybe made of frosted glass with "UKaps Baby" stencilled on it :D

I don't really know anything about wood and timber sizes, but I imagined that I'd use wodden boards at 1.5cm thickness.
    Do you think it would be strong enough?
    What sort of wood should I get and where would I get this cut?

2. samc

samc Member

3. YzemaN

YzemaN Member

Cheers Sam. I've seen that one before. It's one of the articles that got me thinking of building one myself. I quite like the smooth front so I might make a few adjustment to my plan.

4. samc

samc Member

he uses formica do you know who stocks it?

5. Ray

Ray Member

I used this thread to make mine with MDF and paint.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/t...ank-dyi-amano-picture-warning.html#post163539

I must say though, although assembly with glue and screws was straight forward it took a lot of time to paint and finish - take the price of buying one from Aqua Essentials, deduct the raw materials and divide by the hours I put in and my hourly rate was very poor - probably didn't make sense to DIY one at all....

6. YzemaN

YzemaN Member

That's a nice tank :wideyed: I have most of the the plants he used so I've now got my head full of ideas... If only I had the talent :lol:
    The two main reasons for me to build my own cabinet is:
    1. Money
    2. The joy of a finishing good DIY project. Well, I still have to finish my first project, but from what I read, it must be a bit like the Runner's High (though I can't say I get much of that either)
    The last, smaller, reason is the non-standard size of the tank (18"x12"), but I actually started out with plans for a 24"x12", as I've been playing around with the idea of getting another, slightly larger tank. I guess I can use this project to get a bit of confidence. Time is not really an issue, as I spend most of my spare time poking into the tanks anyway :rolleyes: