• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant discussions!

Cryptocoryne Spiralis Red
43740600-3200-4ADE-982D-74867BFCE49A.jpeg

Konrad

Cryptocoryne Spiralis Red
View attachment 185604
Konrad
Are you sure that is spiralis red or is it spiralis tiger ? I know they are two distinct variation but the names I see are crossed between them from various vendors.

Are you sure that is spiralis red or is it spiralis tiger ? I know they are two distinct variation but the names I see are crossed between them from various vendors.
Definitely Spiralis Red, this is Spiralis Tiger:

501CE2CE-F499-48CB-8BA9-5FBC42A963C2.jpeg

Yes I’m sure. I have both of them in my tank and both look completely different. I’ve kept them for a couple of years so I can tell you which one is which with my eyes closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I’m sure. I have both of them in my tank and both look completely different. I’ve kept them for a couple of years so I can tell you which one is which with my eyes closed.
Could you post a picture of your Tiger as well? It would be super useful to see the difference when they are grown in the same tank! 😃

Could you post a picture of your Tiger as well? It would be super useful to see the difference when they are grown in the same tank! 😃
Sure. Red closer to the top, few leaves of tiger coming up from the bottom. You can’t get them mixed.
628DA72F-1349-4F73-90AE-CC98BA92744B.jpeg

Thank you very much! 😍
Im definitely going to need both :lol:

Sure. Red closer to the top, few leaves of tiger coming up from the bottom. You can’t get them mixed.
View attachment 185634
Ok. Then I think I have a third plant - the tiger I have looks like your red with solid leaves and a light green center. I also have a plant that has a darker red and a very dark green center that was sold as red spiralis.

Ok. Then I think I have a third plant - the tiger I have looks like your red with solid leaves and a light green center. I also have a plant that has a darker red and a very dark green center that was sold as red spiralis.
According to spiralis red I observed (over the last few years):
  • young spiralis red grown from invitro look just like tiger
  • when it grows under medium light it develops that bright green line across
  • when it gets to the water surface under strong light it becomes red as seen on my photo
So depends on conditions it may look quite significantly different.
Spiralis tiger however, nearly always keeps the same colouration and pattern. This is just what I have spotted but I’ve been growing them in 3 different tanks with different light.

According to spiralis red I observed (over the last few years):
  • young spiralis red grown from invitro look just like tiger
  • when it grows under medium light it develops that bright green line across
  • when it gets to the water surface under strong light it becomes red as seen on my photo
So depends on conditions it may look quite significantly different.
Spiralis tiger however, nearly always keeps the same colouration and pattern. This is just what I have spotted but I’ve been growing them in 3 different tanks with different light.
Do any of your plants have a dark green center. The plant I have that was sold as red spiralis with the dark green center i've had for about 8 months so it is quite established - the plant i have purchased as tiger that looks like your red is a newer plant - approx 1 month old so not yet established but it does not have the pattern of your tiger. The aquarium they are in has inert substrate but strong light (wrgb 2); there is co2 injection. I like your tiger but none of the plants I purchased as tiger have that pattern.

Do any of your plants have a dark green center. The plant I have that was sold as red spiralis with the dark green center i've had for about 8 months so it is quite established - the plant i have purchased as tiger that looks like your red is a newer plant - approx 1 month old so not yet established but it does not have the pattern of your tiger. The aquarium they are in has inert substrate but strong light (wrgb 2); there is co2 injection. I like your tiger but none of the plants I purchased as tiger have that pattern.
Just give it time, loads of light and some root tabs and wait for the results. If they don’t get enough nutrients from the soil that’s what happen to them in my tank. So depends what colour you like most you can achieve it by controlling light, nutrients and some practice.
7CEEE2CD-187C-4AEE-A586-40F4D85BF57D.jpeg

Hi all,

That looks in tip-top condition, but it also looks a poor <"contorted thing">.

cheers Darrel
Is this caused by a cytokinin mess up mutation?

Hi all,
Is this caused by a cytokinin mess up mutation?
I must admit I don't know. If you get <"hormone weedkiller damage"> to plants you often end up with cup-shaped leaves, so it may well be. The herbicide often implicated is "aminopyralid", which is auxin based.

This was the <"Rotala "Pearl Bunch"> picture that started this discussion.

20220327_170200-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Bazz
Is that Crypt Affinis just before the Nurii?
1651493803111.png

hoggie

Is that Crypt Affinis just before the Nurii?
It was sold to me as Nurii Pink by the guy in France I acquired Spiralis Red and Tiger from.
Cheers!

Hi Bazz
I think its Luminous Green?

Last edited:
Cryptocoryne spiralis red.
20230929_204748.jpg

spiralis red
Almost looking like Tiger, 👍

That's right, but Tiger is twice as big and weaker in color.

That's right, but Tiger is twice as big and weaker in color.
I don't find tiger twice as big but definitely has weaker colour. I used to grow them side by side and found the size not disimliar.

pink jacobii (I think)
View attachment 213289
pink line nurii rosen (i think)
View attachment 213290
plain nurii rosen

View attachment 213291
cordata var siamensis (the plant that is dark green with white lines)

View attachment 213292
Pink Jacobi is Cryptocoryne Affinis, theres a issue within the Usa of people circulating/ selling this particular plant as x Jacobsenii, the real x Jacobsenii looks quite different, btw, the cordata siamenis " rosanernvig" looks very nice.

Pink Jacobi is Cryptocoryne Affinis, theres a issue within the Usa of people circulating/ selling this particular plant as x Jacobsenii, the real x Jacobsenii looks quite different, btw, the cordata siamenis " rosanernvig" looks very nice.
I don't disagree with your expertise; i called it pink jacobii because that was how it was sold; however when i google crypt affinis i cannot find it even remotely to this colour; so i ask is pink jacobii a curvature or a weird hybrid ?

I don't disagree with your expertise; i called it pink jacobii because that was how it was sold; however when i google crypt affinis i cannot find it even remotely to this colour; so i ask is pink jacobii a curvature or a weird hybrid ?
Affinis is very variable in colour depending on conditions that is all ie leave colour can be green, brown or shades inbetween, in the Uk ive seen the name metallic red given to this form, there all still Affinis though.

Affinis is very variable in colour depending on conditions that is all ie leave colour can be green, brown or shades inbetween, in the Uk ive seen the name metallic red given to this form, there all still Affinis though.
Affinis Metallic Red.....at £20 a plant I think i will avoid that one!

Back