• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant health problem, is this an indicator...

Reuben

Hello!

Quick question for now but I may end up doing a more comprehensive thread on my problems:(

I have Co2 so that the drop checker is lime green at lights on, add 4ml liquid Carbon every day, dose EI, have medium light, and good flow, WC 75% once Per week (do this about 3 hrs before lights on) - I have followed advice and guidance I've read on here, and think/hope I am 'in line' with what is advised. Tank is 125L.

So is the following an indicator that points to what I have wrong:

What does browning at the leaf edges mean? I don't mean browning at the leaf tip, but around the whole edge of the leaf and usually only extending about 1mm into the leaf. Most visible on Hydrcotyle tripartita, but also present on other plants too including L aromatica and P stellata both of which are looking very melty and sickly... I know the first thought may be CO2 but last time I increased it from where it is now the fish were gasping...

Hope someone can help get me on track as I am not sure what I have wrong -is it likely/possible I have too much flow!!.

Thanks.

Diatoms.

I had exactly the same question as this last week and was going to ask (even took photos). On several faster growing stem plants, particularly the smaller leaved ones, there was a 1-2mm light brown strip all around the edges. I thought it must be some deficiency.

Then I spotted a leaf that was clear that I knew had brown edges the day before. I tried putting a snail on a brown edge - kept falling off, useless snail. So I patiently watched the otos until finally one latched onto one of the leaves and cleaned some of the brown off. I have alot of sand in the tank and did some rescaping the other week that may have caused it. Now most of the brown edges have gaps in them where the otos have had a munch!

Yes I did think about this, I had reduced my lighting recently in case this was a factor (now restored as it didn't alter anything). I thought they were more of a problem in new tanks and mine is about 4 months old now, so I am also, thinking of some kind of deficiency -possible brought about by me using a pea gravel substrate? Though it does have laterite and root tabs to help with this. I also saw London Dragons 125ltr journal and he did very well with a inert substrate so not sure... Why do you think the sand could be an issue, I do also have an area of sand in my tank (got if from P@H and I'm not sure of the type), I'm remembering something about silicates being problematic sometimes, but perhaps I'm just looking for trouble where there's none to be found?
Thanks.

Back