• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant ID

Nick potts

I picked these up on the off chance they are aquatic, or at least can survive submerged, though looking at them now I don't believe they are. The shop I got them from sells lots of non-aquatic plants for aquariums.

I have forgotten what they had them labelled as, I know it was something grass :)

20210117-110534.jpg

20210117-110543.jpg

Thanks

Would that be Mondo grass? Ophiopogon japonica. Either way, you're right it looks like it might be a plant that's not suited to life in an aquarium. But I could be wrong.

Exactly right Tim, i rang them up and they are selling it as fountain grass (ophiopogon japonicus)

Not an aquatic, but can apparently do ok in aquariums with enough light and nutrients. We'll see how it goes.

Hi all,
........ Not an aquatic, but can apparently do ok in aquariums with enough light and nutrients.......
We live in a post truth world. Ring them back and tell them that it isn't a plant that can ever grow underwater, and that you are very disappointed with the advice you have received.
We'll see how it goes.
Unfortunately you need to remove it asap. It is fine as a house plant, it is not fine as an aquarium plant.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

We live in a post truth world. Ring them back and tell them that it isn't a plant that can ever grow underwater, and that you are very disappointed with the advice you have received.

Unfortunately you need to remove it asap. It is fine as a house plant, it is not fine as an aquarium plant.

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel. I will certainly be offering them some words on the plants they are selling :)

I'll get it removed, I am sure I will find somewhere to use it around the house.

Hi all,
I am sure I will find somewhere to use it around the house
If you can't <"it is fine outside in the S. of England">. It will grow in the shade (if it isn't too dry), and had a little lilac flower in the late spring and blue berries later on.
.............. The display of Hakonechloa and Ophiopogon is a representation of a Japanese Roji garden; the garden outside a Japanese tea house which aims to calm the senses............In Japan Ophiopogon are used around water basins or rocks for accentuation and to soften their base. The smaller cultivars like ‘Kyoto’ and ‘Tama-ryu’ are often planted between stones in a path or along gravel garden edges to imitate moss. In their natural habitat they are often found along streams or in moderate damp woodland where they thrive in shade to semi-shade. Flowers are quite insignificant but the berries are a beautiful pearly blue.
From <"Plant Heritage at RHS Hampton......">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
From my early beginnings with plants in tanks 20 odd years ago, I'm quite familiar with this plant. It is a very tough plant and can take some time to die, well seemingly a long time compared to the other non aquatic plants I was murdering at the time, but die it will.
It's a little annoying that this still goes on. In the past you probably wouldn't have known and just thought you didn't have a green thumb but with the Internet it should have changed but somehow hasn't. Saying that when I was in the shop, were we only sold aquatic suitable plants, we had plenty of customers who didn't really care if they killed the plants as they just bought fresh every few weeks.

we had plenty of customers who didn't really care if they killed the plants as they just bought fresh every few weeks.
I think many folk still seem to consider plants a consumable, like a bunch of flowers...

I think many folk still seem to consider plants a consumable, like a bunch of flowers...
I think i am the other way at the moment, I hate even chucking out trimmings lol
From my early beginnings with plants in tanks 20 odd years ago, I'm quite familiar with this plant. It is a very tough plant and can take some time to die, well seemingly a long time compared to the other non aquatic plants I was murdering at the time, but die it will.
It's a little annoying that this still goes on. In the past you probably wouldn't have known and just thought you didn't have a green thumb but with the Internet it should have changed but somehow hasn't. Saying that when I was in the shop, were we only sold aquatic suitable plants, we had plenty of customers who didn't really care if they killed the plants as they just bought fresh every few weeks.
I should have known really and not bought them as it just encourages them to buy in more.

This particular shop is great with fish, but sell a lot of non-aquatic plants, and as you say, they can't really claim ignorance any more as it's very easy to research what their suppliers have in before ordering it.

Back