• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plant identification help

KarlH

Seedling
Picked this one up passing through Gold Fish Street in Kowloon, Hong Kong - mostly because I thought it looked more like a land plant than a water plant - it is indeed a very sturdy little fellow, about 12cm at the moment.
IMG_3212.JPG
It seems to thrive in submerged conditions thus far. I've searched various sites/forums but haven't found it - do you recognise this plant and its origin?

Thanks,
KarlH

Ah - thanks!
I'll check out that genus and work myself upwards from there. And possibly put the plant on the windowsill instead in the coming weeks or so :)

Cheers,
Karl

Thanks a lot Mick!
Seems I got something sturdy for my windowsill after all; I kind of like it though and will read up on it!

Again, appreciate all contributors for your help!

/KarlH

Hi Karl,

I agree with Mick, definitely looks like Dracaena Sanderiana. It's often sold as an aquatic plant here in the UK but sadly isn't. It'll start to break down over time in fully aquatic conditions. It'll look lovely on your windowsill though!

This Dracaena is often sold as shoots standing in a vase with only water, like bamboo.. So it doesn't mind standing in water or very wel aerated wet substrate.. That's why it is often placed in terrarium/paludarium and there fore often to be found at the wrong place in an lfs tank submersed. So it definitely has open top tank potential if placed shallow enough.. :)

Attachments

• drac.jpg
    drac.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 169
Back